www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: text size

text size

Is there a way to block somebody from seeing enlarged text as set from their control panel on a web page? Specifically a code that would maintain the text size integrity regardless of their control panel settings? I've seen sites out there where this is the case, I just can't find the comand. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

No sense in triple posting. Answered at http://forums.webdeveloper.com/showt...&threadid=5039

text size

thanks, i wasn't sure about the posting - regarding the css coding: my pages have several different text sizes built into them, and i just want to make sure that they all stay in the same proportion regardless of enlarged icon/text settings - good examples of this are http://www.msn.com and http://www.limos.com . no matter what the screen resolution settings are or control panel font size option is selected (large/small) the fonts retain proportion within the page. So, how do I apply the css coding to all of the various text/sizes within the page? I am not experienced at writing CSS coding though i can usually figure out how to edit it. Again, any additional help here is greatly appreciated.

between <HEAD> and </HEAD> tags, add this code (edit the font size).

Code:
    <style type=text/css>
    <!--
    .fontsize1 {
              font-size: 14pt;
         }
    -->
    </style>
    Then, in the BODY portion of your page... Around every part that you want to make that size, put <span class="fontsize1"> as the beginning tag and </span> as the closing tag.

so it goes like this...
    Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <style type=text/css>
    <!--
    .fontsize1 {
              font-size: 14pt;
         }
    -->
    </style>
    </head>
    <body>
    This text is the default size. <span class=fontsize1>This text is always 14pt (or whatever is specified in the HEAD section)</span>
    </body>
    </html>
    This would render...

This text is the default size. This text is always 14pt (or whatever is specified in the HEAD section)

That only works for IE in a Windows OS. Netscape, Mozilla, and IE 5 for the MAC will enlarge the text no matter how you specify it, whether in relative sizes, pixel sizes, point sizes, or percentage sizes.

There really is no way to absolutely control font sizes on all browsers. I usually try to lay out pages so that it can accomodate large text sizes and not have the layout break apart.

The bottom line, don't count on sizing a table cell or DIV to display one line of 14pt text because someone on Netscape or IE/ Mac can resize the text thru the View menu. It could wrap text to a different line.

Then again, if that really doesn't matter to you, disregard the above paragraph

Even if Netscape, etc. does do this, the sizes will still be in proportion to one another.

Re: text size

Originally posted by bluemojave
    my pages have several different text sizes built into them, and i just want to make sure that they all stay in the same proportion regardless of enlarged icon/text settings
    You should use fontsizes specified in %.
    Also keep the main textsize on the page at 100% and set headings and smalltype sections relative this.

That will work the best cross browser and cross OS.

@dabush
    Never use pt on a monitor. It's size is very inconsistent across OS. If you must use a fixed value, use pixles, but % works the best over all (including adhering to the user specifed default).

celebguy_dv Guest

You know, I have the same desire to control the way it plays, but after attempting in vain to read something which was being rendered in about 6 pt on my monitor in idiotically close colors, I've changed my mind; if people want to put their fonts big for their screen resolution, there could be a reason for it and they may get mad at you if you insist on a size they don't like (I'm not actually thinking of 14 pt here, of course, but who knows, some people need real big type).

Thread Information