www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: best computer for web development?

Mac OS X Panther is based on UNIX, to begin with; second, you can get a PowerMac which is much more efficient than a Windows machine. I'm not a strong Windows believer. I honor Microsoft - they have and still do make some great products - but I want to try something else. More than just being able to test across multiple platforms, Macs look much, much better than Windows. The XP themes are okay for a little while, but they quickly become boring and ugly. I can't skin Windows XP without paying for it, and even then it takes up too many system resources for the computer to be practical. (Yes, even on a Pentium 4 at 2.8GHz with 512MB of DDRAM and 60GB of hard disk space.) I like the way the iMacs look. Eventually I want to go spend $3,500 to get the biggest toy I can. Just think, dual 2.5GHz G5 processors, 2GB DDRAM, 120GB hard drive, graphics card, 20" LCD monitor... mmmm... I need a job at an Apple-certified retail shop...like CompUSA. I wish they lived closer to my home, though. I need discounts, darn it!!

Anyway, a larger screen and less ugly environment is definitely helpful for web design, in my opinion. Why else do all the "big names" use Macs?

I never liked the mac mouse only one button

Originally posted by lakers01
    I never liked the mac mouse only one button
    The less you have to click, the easier the system is to use. Think about it - you can right-click on Windows, but there is no need to on a Mac. This means that there are no "hidden options" and everything is constantly at your finger tips.

O_o never thought it that way

Originally posted by lakers01
    O_o never thought it that way
    Me either, but you'd be surprised what you can think of when you're trying to protect your ideals!

You know what's really bad though?

Having to press the ctrl button on a mac and click just to get the right-click menu. :|

I'm pretty much a keyboard-only user anyway, though. I just have to learn the shotcuts, and I'll probably mostly be using the keyboard. Just how I am. Anyway, I've been a bit opinionated here, so I'll quit.

You can use a two button mouse on a mac, it just doesn't come with it. All you need to do is take your mouse from your Windows PC and put it onto the Mac. 'Nuff said.
    Last edited by Neczy; 12-10-2004 at 02:54 PM.

well i ordered my new computer last night. here is what it is:
    Dimension 8400Pentium® 4 Processor 540 with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800 FSB), Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

Memory ~ 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x512M)

VideoCard ~ 128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X300 SE

Harddrive ~ 80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

Network Interfece ~ Integrated Gigabit Ethernet

CD/DVD ROMs ~ Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capability

Good choice - you could use that for just about anything you need. How much did it cost?

about 1200 cant remember the exact cost, but i get a free printer and a 17 in flat screen too

Hi if you want to know what computer to use...... well let me see it's not a computer my friend got this new apple mac it was called apple mac G5 it's the best mac you can get under £1500.

I think this is the becasue mac/computer to use for it's easy to use and colourful not that matters What does matter that it has the fastest mac cpu of all time for a price under £1500.

Also one thing that has been in mac for years and what sets them apart form microsoft computer also what makes them so good for webdesigning is that for example if you were doing a logo in photoshop you can drag the work into the program you web site is in without having to import it or anything like that.

I know it's not a computer but thats my anwser

Thanks
    Chrisy

Originally posted by Chrisy

I know it's not a computer but thats my anwser
    Uhh, a Mac is a computer. Just because it's not called a 'PC' doesn't mean it's not a computer. lol

Originally posted by Jona
    Because Apple is the only one who sells G5 iMacs maybe?
    Uhhh, you missed the point. I am saying buying the g5 is retarded because of the price and an inherent lack of hardware compadibility when an os is modded for specific hardware. You can build an x86 machine that will be just as powerful for less and put unix or linux on it if you are one of those people who refuses to use windows.
    Last edited by PeOfEo; 12-11-2004 at 06:54 PM.

Originally posted by Jona
    Mac OS X Panther is based on UNIX, to begin with; second, you can get a PowerMac which is much more efficient than a Windows machine. I'm not a strong Windows believer. I honor Microsoft - they have and still do make some great products - but I want to try something else. More than just being able to test across multiple platforms, Macs look much, much better than Windows. The XP themes are okay for a little while, but they quickly become boring and ugly. I can't skin Windows XP without paying for it, and even then it takes up too many system resources for the computer to be practical. (Yes, even on a Pentium 4 at 2.8GHz with 512MB of DDRAM and 60GB of hard disk space.) I like the way the iMacs look. Eventually I want to go spend $3,500 to get the biggest toy I can. Just think, dual 2.5GHz G5 processors, 2GB DDRAM, 120GB hard drive, graphics card, 20" LCD monitor... mmmm... I need a job at an Apple-certified retail shop...like CompUSA. I wish they lived closer to my home, though. I need discounts, darn it!!

Anyway, a larger screen and less ugly environment is definitely helpful for web design, in my opinion. Why else do all the "big names" use Macs?
    The macs look beter holds no water when you can make the pc yourself. http://www.msicomputer.com/casemod.asp

Thread Information