dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Database Forum thread Closed?

Database Forum thread Closed?

Closing the Database forum thread to stop complaints is not going to work. (see Database Forum )

Since the decision has been made not to have a database forum I will just point out why it is required in a web developer forum.

Point by MstrBob:
    A place to ask questions about SQL, and discuss database storage/interaction. Not even limited to SQL, we could even use it for other databases like Oracle. Though you might be able to consider it as part of a server side language, it's really not. I mean, one could connect with an MSSQL server with PHP, or ASP (and probably others)....Obviously, questions pertaining about how to integrate databases into their scripts, or issues with their particular server side interface can be in the respective forums....We certainly have enough questions to justify, I think. Items like SQL syntax errors, the best type of databases, the most efficient methods of retrieving data, advanced questsion about database features...
    Point by MstrBob:
    If we can have a forum about general, non webdeveloper issues, why can we not have forums on site for databases, which are very much crucial for many websites. More important, I may argue, than XML is right now.
    Point by Jick:
    Although databases can fall into the category of the language it is used with, I think it would be useful to have a forum of it's own. Not everybody knows how to use databases and some don't even know that you use a server side language with them. I have run into people before who have asked about databases and all they knew was they existed. Some people even think database languages are actually a web language themselves like php, asp, etc....

Another point is some database languages can work with many different web languages and there might be people that have a broad question about the language in general so this would be a forum where questions like that would go.

Point by MstrBob:
    This is a WebDeveloper Forum. What does a webdeveloper do? A webdeveloper works on both the front AND back ends of a website, no? HTML, CSS, Javascript - these are the front, user end of a website. But web developers also create functional, dynamic backgrounds using technologies like PHP, ASP, ASP.net, Perl, ect. Database are crucial to many websites. They absolutely have a place on this board. Yes, you can go to a database forum, but you can also go to a Sole PHP forum, a sole ASP forum, a sole HTML forum. The point of this forum, as I understand it, was to bring together the different aspects of webdeveloper's work, and provide a means for them to communicate to and help each other in the different areas.

If we can have a Computer Issue forum (which I think is great, don't get me wrong) why can we not have a database forum? Database systems like *SQL and Oracle are used pretty much soley for websites. Thus, you can not say they aren't important to a developer. And considering that databases are independant components, that can be mixed with different languages, it should be separate. As I already said, something like MSSQL can be used with PHP or ASP, and the SQL syntax is still the same!
    Point by PhillMc:
    Many of us here have written sites that use them; it is also a common posting topic.
    Point by MstrBob:
    Oh, well I guess the Computer Issues forum has a lot more to do with Web Development. If I wanted to jump around from forum to forum, I'd be a constant member at a pure PHP forum, a pure HTML forum, a pure XML forum.

My Point:
    Because in a database forum everyone knows all about databases but know very little about deploying the information in a database on to the internet and I should know because I am one of those people.

Does anyone else have any good points to add to this?
    Last edited by smercer; 12-07-2004 at 09:29 PM.
    Share on Google+

The United States Site: http://kellyj.t35.com
    I think yours, and several others can be found in the link. A bad decision on Lee's part, or whoever did so to close the thread. It shows me the administration has no sense in making their users satisfied with necessary resources by the forum topic.
    Share on Google+

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    i support the decision made by the admin, and i they obviously must have their reasons for not creating the forum, so i say 'it was a good idea.' and note -
    Originally posted by LeeU
    At this time it has been decided that one will not be started; however, we will continue to re-examine the idea from time to time.
    Share on Google+

Originally posted by steelersfan88
    I think yours, and several others can be found in the link. A bad decision on Lee's part, or whoever did so to close the thread. It shows me the administration has no sense in making their users satisfied with necessary resources by the forum topic.
    It had been decided, what's left to discuss? Drop it and move on, stop flogging a dead horse.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.
    Share on Google+

I think yours, and several others can be found in the link.
    You've inspired me to post them here.

A bad decision on Lee's part, or whoever did so to close the thread. It shows me the administration has no sense in making their users satisfied with necessary resources by the forum topic.
    Very true. However I would describe it as very rude and the equivalent to pressing the receiver on someone else's phone call. How dare he interrupt our conversation?
    Last edited by smercer; 12-07-2004 at 09:51 PM.
    Share on Google+

Originally posted by smercer
    I would describe it as very rude and the equivalent to pressing the receiver on someone else's phone call. How dare he interrupt our conversation?
    I don't suppose being called a communist is particularly nice either. I didn't take part in the thread but I did read the thread, Lee was perfectly polite and explained his reason for closing the thread very clearly. I don't really see what the problem is here.

A database forum was requested, the administration decided that at the present time we did not need one but maybe one would be created at some future date.
    Share on Google+

Originally posted by rhsunderground
    i support the decision made by the admin, and i they obviously must have their reasons for not creating the forum, so i say 'it was a good idea.' and note -
    You may be forgeting that this is a online community forum. We all have a say, not just the people behind the desk that may have limited knowlegde about web development.
    Share on Google+

Mods sucking up to the boss here ... how about we get some people not affiliated with the Admin Group to make replies other than myself and smercer.

I did see my inspiration work, and saw the points, which I adhere to. At least rhs shows some sympathy. David however seems to just make a post to support a decision made by a boss, if you will.

LEt's get some other support here to get the re-examination of the idea start now (or maybe after i get up tomorrow, eh?)
    Share on Google+

I'm not "sucking up to the boss", I don't suck up to anyone, if I sucked up to people, I'd be turning up to all of my lectures and sitting in the front row. Please do not accuse me of sucking up just because I disagree with you.

As it happens I did make a post to support "the boss", so what? Lee and Scott decided that they didn't want a DB forum, so there isn't going to be one, an alternative forum was offered for if people really had some burning questions that they needed answers to.

Please tell me how that is in any way unreasonable?
    Share on Google+

yes I noticed that...
    Last edited by smercer; 12-08-2004 at 01:36 AM.
    Share on Google+

I didn't say it was. It is unreasonable to close the thread when there was absolutely no reason to do so. That is the point of this thread, ala title: "Database Forum thread Closed?". Notice it is not: "Database Forum idea rejected?" or the similar.

The decision for you to enter this thread and make your comment is backed by your position, and you know you will have to support of the people with power. Don't think that the non-mods here have no clue how this thing works. I work as admins and super mods on numerous forums that I visit more, so I sure no what it likes to be on both sides of this argument. I've just done my job in staying away from the side your on, that's all .
    Share on Google+

yes I noticed that... it is interesting that only the admin and the moderaters are aganist this idea.

I wonder how much influence the admin have on their moderaters? and how admin affects their decisions. Would they have to hold their hands through their opinions and decisions as well?
    I think it comes naturally that you want to support an admin because you want the support in case you are argued for an admin to take your side.

I moderate a forum (not the one I administrate that somehow the admins thought that I said they wouldn't find ... since Google finds it) and I've seen normal mods make decisions that I've reiterated before, just in case they are argued, they have my support. I've seen it before. And I understand it.

However, again, I'd like to restate the purpose of this thread for the mods here: "Database Forum thread Closed?"

I will refer to a mod on this that will favor our side ...
    Share on Google+

The decision for you to enter this thread and make your comment is backed by your position, and you know you will have to support of the people with power. Don't think that the non-mods here have no clue how this thing works. I work as admins and super mods on numerous forums that I visit more, so I sure no what it likes to be on both sides of this argument. I've just done my job in staying away from the side your on, that's all .
    That's settled then. We do know where the moderators stand.
    Share on Google+

yes I noticed that... it is interesting that only the admin and the moderators are against this idea.

I wonder how much influence the admin have on their moderators? and how admin affects their decisions. Would they have to hold their hands through their opinions and decisions as well?
    I'm not corrupted, I don't jump through hoops for people. I find it offensive that you think so.

I didn't say it was. It is unreasonable to close the thread when there was absolutely no reason to do so. That is the point of this thread, ala title: "Database Forum thread Closed?". Notice it is not: "Database Forum idea rejected?" or the similar.
    There was a reason, or did you just not read the last post?
    Originally posted by LeeU
    O.k. I think I got the message. To save more repetitive replies, this thread is now closed.
    Roughly translated as, "Hi, I understand that I have denied your request and that you're upset about it. However I'm going to close this thread now to stop you all from harassing me any more."
    Share on Google+

Originally posted by lavalamp
    There was a reason, or did you just not read the last post?Roughly translated as, "Hi, I understand that I have denied your request and that you're upset about it. However I'm going to close this thread now to stop you all from harassing me any more."
    A message that short can be interpreted in many different ways.
    Last edited by smercer; 12-08-2004 at 01:35 AM.
    Share on Google+

Thread Information