www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing your font via preferences

Changing your font via preferences

[font=trebuchet ms]Is there a way to set it so that your posts are always a certain font type? Currently I have to putto change it, and it sorta gets tiring, but the fact i like this font more, i use it. Is there a way to set it up to set the font in your user control panel? Or perhaps something client side that will auto add it? Hope this is the right forum.

If you have a CSS 3 compliant browser (which to my disgust I found out that FF 1.0 is not) then you could apply a custom stylesheet to the webdev forums with this in it:
    Code:
    td:contains("Neczy") + td p font{
      font-family:trebuchet ms;
    }
    Of course, that will only apply to you so maybe it's not what you're after.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

Although a long time ago, I have been asked this questoin before; there is no way to do it, except by typing it out each time. Sorry, I know it's disappointing, but there's nothing that can be done about it. And think about it, how could you use monospaced fonts for code if all of your posts were automatically formatted to a different typeface?

Originally posted by Jona
    Although a long time ago, I have been asked this questoin before; there is no way to do it, except by typing it out each time.
    Hmm... Maybe with the user.js file? Maybe not, too, don't know. Just throwing it out as a possible option. I'm not really sure how the user.js file works, so maybe I'm way off.

Originally posted by pyro
    Hmm... Maybe with the user.js file? Maybe not, too, don't know. Just throwing it out as a possible option. I'm not really sure how the user.js file works, so maybe I'm way off.
    I modified the "user.js" file and tried calling it through the URL (the javascript:void(function(paramaters)) construct), and it failed. I think it's only for XUL/browser formatting. You could make a Firefox extension for it, though...

Originally posted by Jona
    I modified the "user.js" file and tried calling it through the URL (the javascript:void(function(paramaters)) construct), and it failed. I think it's only for XUL/browser formatting. You could make a Firefox extension for it, though...
    How would one go about creating a firefox extension?

Ya, how would you? I could go for an extension that did that!

I found this:

http://www.mozilla.org/docs/tutorials/tinderstatus/

Interesting, and easy! I'm assuming that this holds true for Firefox as well.

I've begun creating an extension (a "SmartyPants"-like extension, so my text is educated well even when a web site does not automatically apply text education), but never finished it. If I can spare the time, I might be able to do this, as it should be a very easy program to make. It will just take a bit of time to figure it out the first time, since all of the XUL/XML and files for it are so confusing.

I have a browser called Sleipnir. it is not very well known but I liked it since I saw it.

In relation to the topic, you could create a java script or a Visual basic script and it would do all that work for you at the push of a button.

Other wise you might like to send a message to the company who designs the software that makes sites like this possible to have a favourite formatting button in the post page (unless Webdeveloper.com could put that in)

I Present to you the (somewhat belated) Firefox extensions:
    AutoUBB. Yes, I'm working on a better icon and name, and I'm still developing it. But for now, you can type in what text you wish to automatically be entered for this here forum. This is why my post is pink!
    Last edited by MstrBob; 01-25-2005 at 08:17 PM.

Wow, Bob, I am impressed!

EDIT
    Would it be possible to make it so it will not show the tags when you type, but add them in when the post is submitted? Just incase you accidentally delete a tag while typing.
    Last edited by Daniel T; 01-25-2005 at 08:07 PM.

Originally posted by Daniel T
    Wow, Bob, I am impressed!

EDIT
    Would it be possible to make it so it will not show the tags when you type, but add them in when the post is submitted? Just incase you accidentally delete a tag while typing.
    Hmm... interesting idea. It's entirely possible. Hadn't thought about that, I'm going to look into that one!

Nice, that's wicked.

Wow, yeah this is seriously really cool.

Thread Information