www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggested IDE instead of VS .NET

Hybrid View

Suggested IDE instead of VS .NET

Are there any other IDE's available that can do C#, C++, J++, J# other than VS.NET?

Up above, there's a post aobut NAnt. http://nant.sourceforge.net/

But...I don't know about that one...hehe. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

"Everything in a web browser."

There's Web Matrix. You don't need an IDE though, just a text editor like Crimson Editor or Html Kit.

ah, and IIS and the .NET framework will automatically make everything work just like php+apache?

Originally posted by BuezaWebDev
    ah, and IIS and the .NET framework will automatically make everything work just like php+apache?
    All you need is to have IIS running and have the framework install and then it will all work, you are correct. You can use anything for asp.net, but I suggest something more substantial then notepad or something that is geared for just html. Webmatrix is decent. I use dreamweaver myself though. You just need something with line numbers and proper syntax hylighting (an html editer is not going to have the correct syntax hylighting for vb.net or c#). However: If you want to compile your code you are going to need to use vs.net or mono, those are the only two things that I know of that have compliers. But if you use mono you will be using their modded form of apache too, not iis or the .net framework. Even then that only supports c# at the moment. If you want your c++ compiled you will need visual studio probably. C++.net uses vs.net, but I do not know about C++ regular, if it can be compiled. I do not know anything about J++, but I know j# would need vs.net to compile. There might be some other compilers out there that you can find for free or for less, but I do not know about them. I do not use compiled code though... my files are just ascii files that compile on app start like most of the pack.

You could try Sharp Develop, www.icsharpcode.com. I know that it compiles vb.net and c#.net by just installing the windows binary, but it won't compile c++ without a compiler installed. It has intellisense for vb and cs too. As far as I can tell, it is primarily designed for windows forms and terminal programs. I don't think it has a web forms designer, nor do I think it has a web project template like VS.Net. Hope that helps.

Originally posted by Cstick
    You could try Sharp Develop, www.icsharpcode.com. I know that it compiles vb.net and c#.net by just installing the windows binary, but it won't compile c++ without a compiler installed. It has intellisense for vb and cs too. As far as I can tell, it is primarily designed for windows forms and terminal programs. I don't think it has a web forms designer, nor do I think it has a web project template like VS.Net. Hope that helps.
    But it compiles c# and vb.net stock?

Hrmm...

So there is no IDE that provides development in asp.net, c#, c++, vb.net ?

I have to get separate IDE's for specific ones like webmatrix for asp.net and devshed c++ for c++...argh. That's annoying.

If you are trutly interested in .Net professionally, accept no substitutes. Get Visual Studio .Net.

At leat check out the trial version free of charge.

Originally posted by PeOfEo
    But it compiles c# and vb.net stock?
    As far as I can tell, yes. I installed it on my box which already had VS installed and it compliled VB and CS. I wondered if it would work on a box without the .Net SDK installed on it, so I installed it on my wife's laptop and it compiles on it too. It wouldn't compile C++ apps though, it complained that I needed to install a compiler first.

Originally posted by BuezaWebDev
    Hrmm...

So there is no IDE that provides development in asp.net, c#, c++, vb.net ?

I have to get separate IDE's for specific ones like webmatrix for asp.net and devshed c++ for c++...argh. That's annoying.
    Any ide can. You do not need to compile to use the technology. But keep in mind, you cant even use c++ to develop in asp.net. You use c++.net, which is c++ which is modified to work with the .net libraries and all.

Originally posted by russell
    If you are trutly interested in .Net professionally, accept no substitutes. Get Visual Studio .Net.

At leat check out the trial version free of charge.
    Why would you accept no substitutes when there are good substitutes like macromedia dream weaver?

VS has more and better tools and is more likely to be employed in professional settings.

The most important features of an IDE, however, are the languages it supports, and recoginiton of objects and their properties (intellisense).

The fact that VS can compile all the various languages gives it a huge leg up.

Dreamweaver is a fine code editor (as long as you don't use the wysiwyg feature), but it falls short as an IDE.

How do you figure? I mean what is wrong with the IDE features od DW? It can handle any of the major .net language and has all of the essential features, such as intellitext, syntax hylighting, line numbers, etc. Keep in mind you do not need something like the arsenal you would need to create an executable application when you are developing a server side page.

Also, dreamweaver is the best thing to use if you use a lot of css. I would not trust a ms ide for valid xhtml and css.
    Last edited by PeOfEo; 12-13-2004 at 04:02 PM.

Dreamweaver adds as much if not more garbage than MS. If you are just generating aspx not compiled then it doesn't really matter does it? But if you are writing compiled apps what good is an IDE that doesn't compile?

In most professional environments, you will find that you'll be compiling code eventually.

DW is a fine code editor, but it isn't a great IDE.

If you don't trust ms, why bother with .net at all?

Originally posted by russell
    Dreamweaver adds as much if not more garbage than MS. If you are just generating aspx not compiled then it doesn't really matter does it? But if you are writing compiled apps what good is an IDE that doesn't compile?
    DW adds more garbage then ms? DW Is a standards compliant IDE, ms has a reputation for throwing the standards out the window

In most professional environments, you will find that you'll be compiling code eventually.
    I am doing this stuff freelance and have not needed to compile, especially becuase compiling is a bad thing when you are freelancing. It means that the client has no control over his or her code in the future.

If you don't trust ms, why bother with .net at all?
    I didn't say that I do not trust ms. I said I do not thrust their ide to output valid css and xhtml. There is a big difference. Whenever their is a ms thread I am always the one defending microsoft. I love asp.net, I think it is the best server side technology in use. But do I trust all of its controls (such as the calander control and the validation controls) to output good code? No, that is why I write my own code. Do I trust a microsoft ide with my code's validity and accessibility? Of course not, this is microsoft, the maker of frontpage and ie. I would like to keep my sites compliant with section 508 of the ADA.

Thread Information