www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Google won't show descriptive text beneath URL?

Google won't show descriptive text beneath URL?

Hello,

I've set up a basic 1 page HTML site for a client to compensate for the fact that their main site is so graphic rich:

http://www.europe--hiking.com/

The site has been indexed by Google but for some reason the there's no text showing beneath the link:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=

I'm concerned that whilst it's recognisig the site, it's not indexing any of the content.

Could it be anything to do with hosting?

Many thanks,

Simon

Re: Google won't show descriptive text beneath URL?

Originally posted by simonlewin
    I'm concerned that whilst it's recognisig the site, it's not indexing any of the content.

Could it be anything to do with hosting?
    No, it has nothing to do with hosting - and all to do with your HTML code and page accessability.

First of all - read this article by Jona.

Second - The reason why Google doesn't show any descriptive text is because you do not use semantic mark-up (Doctype missing, table used for presentation etc.). Furthermore, there is no linkage to and from your website. Now, content and linkage is the most important thing if you want to make Google interested.

I can see the other two links in the search result are supplemental. If I were you I would take a look whether your robots.txt file or the root .htaccess file accidentally blocks search bots.

Some of my websites have gone through the same thing and one is going through what you are going through.

This usually happens with new sites that have no links pointing back to them. Once you have a few links and Google follows those links, then Google will add a description to your link.

Right now I've placed a link on the front page of one of my other regularly indexed sites pointing to my site with no description and I expect that in a couple of days the description will appear in Google. This has worked before for me on 10+ sites.

Thread Information