dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

View Poll Results: Which is the best OS for a home networked user?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • XP Pro

4 66.67%
  • Redhat Linux

1 16.67%
  • Other OS Linux

0 0%
  • Other

1 16.67%

Thread: Is there a real alternative?

Is there a real alternative?

Maybe this is the wrong place for this topic, but if it is I'm sure someone will put me right.

I just got a new PC at home and installed XP Pro on it in the silly belief that it would do just what it says on the packet. I particularly wanted the enhanced security features in user accounts i.e. I can stop the kids acessing IE and MSN Messenger, installing new programs, screwing with my desktop settings, running games that alter and screw up the graphics etc etc but mainly so that their broadband access time and online activities are controlled only though their AOL 9.0 logins.

I installed XP on the NTFS file system, which is supposed to enable the securituy features I want, but guess what? It can't, or maybe I can't? I can disable IE and MSN for ALL users, but the kids can still install certain programs despite being on a restricted user account (Oh, I don't have SP2 installed btw as it is aparently a nightmare to setup to a home network).

So, am I flogging a dead horse, doing something wrong or is there an alternative? I've heard a little about Linux systems such as Redhat but don't know an awful lot more - I know I can test one out if I put it on another drive partition, but is it easy to set up, will it support AOL etc?? Is it worth the time and effort to make the break from Microslops products? I'd like to give it a try but don't really know where to start. Any recommendations?

theres an entire forum dedicated to networking:

http://forums.enterpriseitplanet.com...p?s=&forumid=3

Sorry

Thanks, I'll repost there.

well I guess running a linux box would definitely stop them installing msn... or kazaa or anything really!

the forums easy to miss, they should realy add some sort of content into where the boards are listed...

Originally posted by DaveSW
    well I guess running a linux box would definitely stop them installing msn... or kazaa or anything really!
    the only way to install anything is through searching and searching for a version ported to linux, then downloading, the they have to know how to use the command line.

But if you want to make it completely impoessible go with bsd .

You can stop people from installing programs on xp. My moms laptop does not let you and I cant crack the admin pass (set by her employer), and I cant boot from a disk (which would allow me to reset the change or reinstall (and I cant change that because of a bios pass (which I cant reset without clearing cmos which would mean opening the laptop)!)).

You can also stop the kids from using ie with the permissions, only problem that can be done for iexplore.exe, but they might still be able to use explorer.exe which you really cant keep them from using without killing pc functionality on those accounts completely.

You can always remove msmsger or use the permissions trick on that btw.
    Last edited by PeOfEo; 12-18-2004 at 04:18 PM.

Thread Information