www.webdeveloper.com

View Poll Results: Would you consider yourself to be a REGEX expert?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know everything there is to know about REGEX.

0 0%
  • I know more than most.

2 66.67%
  • I know enought to get the results I want.

1 33.33%
  • I know more than you.

0 0%

Thread: REGEX general questions

Post REGEX general questions

I'm using REGEX to check values in a form. Currently I'm using the POSIX version (ereg function). In the PHP documentation it describes POSIX REGEX as greedy vs PERL as not. Unfortunately, they don't explain what they mean by 'greedy'. Could someone shed some light on that?

When I'm checking for patterns I find the ereg functions return true if any character matches the pattern unless I specify the exact size of the string so the whole pattern is matched. For example:

ereg("[a-zA-Z0-9]", $somevariable);

returns true if any character in the string matches the set. Whereas

ereg("[a-zA-Z0-9]{n}", $somevariable);

Will match any alphanumeric string n characters long. As I don't know the size of the string someone might enter using {1,n} does not work either.

I've found a work around:

$i = strlen($somevariable);
    ereg("[a-zA-Z0-9]{". $i . "}", $somevariable)

And even though this works I'm certain there are much better ways to accomplish this with the perl REGEX functions. My primary concern is SQL injection and limiting fields for input.

"Greedy" means it finds the largest chunk of text that matches the pattern. For instance, with the string, "she sells sea shells by the sea shore" and the regexp /^sh.*sh/; a greedy parser would find the match as "she sells sea shells by the sea sh", while a non-greedy(?) parser would match it as "she sells sea sh".

Hope that helps?
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

did that help ...yes

the pattern /^sh.*sh/; (if i'm reading it correctly) means except the first 'sh' /^sh match the string up to and including the characters before .*sh/ The first string to match the pattern is "she sells sea sh". And the greedy REGEX will go to the last sh that matches the pattern. I don't understand why you put the period in /^sh.*sh/ however. Wouldn't /^sh*sh/ have the same results?

Re: did that help ...yes

Originally posted by epsilonv
    the pattern /^sh.*sh/; (if i'm reading it correctly) means except the first 'sh' /^sh match the string up to and including the characters before .*sh/ The first string to match the pattern is "she sells sea sh". And the greedy REGEX will go to the last sh that matches the pattern. I don't understand why you put the period in /^sh.*sh/ however. Wouldn't /^sh*sh/ have the same results?
    '^' = beginning of line (not to be confused with '[^abc]' which would mean NOT the letter a, b, or c.)
    '.' = any character
    '*' = 0 to any number of the preceding character. (This tends to confuse just about everyone at first, since most of us learn about using it as a filename wildcard first, where it means "any characters" all by itself.)

So, /^sh.*sh/ = 'sh' at the start of the line, followed by any number (including none) of any characters, followed by another 'sh'.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

eBookworm.us

Let me expand on that a little further with regards to greedy
    Code:

^sh - start of line which must be 'sh'
    .*  - 0 or more characters (ANY including whitespace) to the END of the line (greedy)
    sh  - then search BACK to first occurance of 'sh'

^sh - start of line must contain 'sh'
    .*? - 0 or more characters, searching FORWARD (not greedy)
    sh  - to NEXT occurance of 'sh'

Ok...got it.

Thank you for your help. I wish I could find a good book (that I could understand) on the subject. I've read a few documentation pages and usually, if they are written well, is all I need. With pattern matching it takes alittle more effort than I was expecting.

The regexp mechanism is almost a programming language of its own. O'Reilly has a whole book dedicated to Perl Regexps.

eBookworm.us

I'll check it out

Thanks I'll check with O'Reilly

Wow I can read it online...sweet

checkout safari.oreilly.com

Thread Information