www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Dictionary Definition Script

Post Dictionary Definition Script

Does anybody know of a free dictionary script where I can put grab a definition of variable words without all the formatting, advertising, branding and extra stuff that sites like dictionary.com have?

You could write an HTML form that links directly to dictionary.com(.) Just look at the source code of the homepage and write another similar form.

When users from your site use your form, they will be redirected to the corresponding page at dictionary.com

Regards.

What I’m trying to do is return dictionary definitions on my site without the user having to get go elsewhere.

I’m going to create an html page with a script that will read the word needing to be defined in the url through being passed through using a variable; ie: mysite.com/definition.htm?w=goober

I just need to find a service where I can take the variable, like goober, and stick it into a tag to load up a definition provided by a remote host. On a real basic level, something like this.

Code:
    <html>
    <p>This is my web page.</p>
    <p>The definition of <script>document.write(word);</script> is as follows:</p>
    <p><script src=”’http://www.somesite.com/+word+”/’”></script>
    </html>
    Dict.org looks promising, but I can’t figure it out

Im not sure if dictionary.com get their data from a publicly available service. It would be cool if they did, though.

I found this site, which has a bunch of tools to create a dictionary: http://www.scriptol.com/sources/dict.php

Regards.

Thread Information