www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: computer not booting

Question computer not booting

my computer is not booting, nothing on screen, just "beep.. beep" sound when trying to power on. latest, it got shutdown abruptly due to power failure, without going through start>shutdown>.. procedure (windows 98). what should i do ???

Files may have become corrupted or the computer might be damaged.

Shut it down completely. Wait 15 seconds. Turn on the PC again. Count the beeps at start up and note the intervals (long: beeeeep or short: beep) Then contact technical support for your computer brand name.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by baseiber; 12-23-2004 at 08:58 AM.

Whip out the motherboard manual (or pc makers manual). Look up error codes in the index. Those beeps are error messages. It is sort of like moorse code. Look and see what it means so when you talk to the support you know what to tell them, or if the system is not in warrantee of a pal made it or something like that you have a general idea of what is wrong and what might need to be looked at.

well, if its win98, then its definitely out of warranty, and there is unlikely to be tech support available for an old model too (at least not free tech support).

does the hard drive whirrr? does the beeping continue, or just the normal beeps u always hear.

do what PeOfE and baseiber said if the beeps are not just the usual ones. Else, if the HD does spin, try a different monitor (if u have one or can borrow one) -- it could be the monitor and not the pc. hate to say it, but check the cables too. if the hd spins, and swapping monitors doesnt prove anything, throw a different video card (known to work) in it if u have access to one without going out and buting it.

open the box and look for any obvious electrical damage on the motherboard and video card (and any other circuitry). since it beeps, the power supply is probably good.

Originally posted by russell
    well, if its win98, then its definitely out of warranty, and there is unlikely to be tech support available for an old model too (at least not free tech support).
    I missed that part... oopsy.

Originally posted by russell
    well, if its win98, then its definitely out of warranty
    Not necessarily so. I know people who buy new machines with Windows 98 installed (my father, don't ask ). However, you are probably right in this instance.

Adam
    "If youíre not using valid HTML, then you havenít created a Web page. You may have created something else, but it isnít a Web page." - Joe Clark

Do something amazing (USA) | Make Poverty History

Thumbs up thank you all

honest thanks for your reply. it worked this way ... one of my friend opened the cpu cabinet, took out the memory chip from its slot, and replaced it again. and it strted to work normally.

bye,

Re: thank you all

Originally posted by bhabendra
    .... and replaced it again. and it strted to work normally.

bye,
    awsome that it worked, typically beep sounds mean that an integral hardware piece of your PC is gone bad/broken or missing.....though its no help to you I just thought it should be help full to mention it here..
    Cheers

Khalid

Message Posting Guidelines In These Forums, Please read these before posting any question.
    Web site: webapplikations.com
    Web Resources Page:Web Resources

Thread Information