dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Music site - Windows or Unix?

Music site - Windows or Unix?

What type of host would be best for a small personal site with music files? I'd like for visitors to be able to have the option to either download the song or listen to it while on the site. I do a bit of ASP programming, but a Windows host I contacted recently said they don't have the appropriate extensions on their server to promise good results for music files. Now I'm puzzled; what are the appropriate extensions and what should I be looking for in a host for this type of site?

thanks,

Mark

I would have thought just a big fat juicy pipe would have been sufficient.
    I'm thuper, thanks for asking.

It lives! http://www.stephenphilbin.com/ (Well it kinda' does anyway).
    My portable colour selection tool

Wink

You mean like a big megaphone or something strapped on to the server? I guess that might work.

Anyway,.... the salesperson at this particular host said their windows servers would not be a good bet for hosting music files. Perhaps he was in search of bigger fish and was just trying to get rid of me; of course it worked.

As long as you're talking about audio files and not streaming real time then any properly configured web server on any host OS will do.

He was probably telling you that their servers aren't beefy enough to handle streaming data. You actually don't need a streaming server. Visit the HTML topic Need advice on streaming sound for more details. Basically, you let a media player like Winamp or Windows Media emulate streaming. It's easy to do and involves making a playlist in the .m3u format. Read the thread I linked to for more details.

As far as type of host needed? I'd think either Windows or Unix would do.

I'd like people to be able to listen to at least part of a song, perhaps the whole thing, while visiting the site; sort of like on Amazon.com. I assume this means streaming. Is that correct?

thanks

Wink

okay, I'll check that other thread. Thank you.

Thread Information