www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Free Web Hosting/Storage? (Doubt it, but I had to ask)

Free Web Hosting/Storage? (Doubt it, but I had to ask)

I'll be launching a website of mine within a month. I'll be offering a free download on the main page that's going to weigh in at about 10 MBs, most likely. My only concern is that I'm going to take a beating on bandwidth during the launch as I expect quite a few people to download it.

Although I have a fairly generous amount of bandwidth, I'm afraid it may not be enough, and I'm on a tight budget. Although I highly doubt it, is there anywhere on the net that offers a good amount of bandwidth for free, or at the least, a decent price (i'm talking cheap, $10 or less)? My idea is that I'd store that one free file on the free/cheap server, and let my website's server handle everything else. Can this be done?

Thanks!

If you store that one free file on the free/cheap server then the bandwidth will be used on that server. If you're going to pay for good hosting anyway, just keep the file on the same server and you won't need to worry about the free one.
    I do affordable web hosting.
    How much bandwidth do you think you'll need?
    Validate your code at w3.org. Get
    Get FireFox!

Originally posted by rsd
    If you store that one free file on the free/cheap server then the bandwidth will be used on that server. If you're going to pay for good hosting anyway, just keep the file on the same server and you won't need to worry about the free one.
    I do affordable web hosting.
    How much bandwidth do you think you'll need?
    I really don't know. 20 gigs maybe? May be less, may be more.

Thing is, I already have a great server. Lots of bandwidth, etc, but I expect this free movie to use up a large percentage of it. That'd my concern, I don't want to pay a whole lot if the movie causes me to exceed my bandwidth amount.

You might check with your host and see if they have any type of email notification when bandwidth reaches a certain point - like 80%.
    If so, you could put a temporary hold on the downloads when it hits.
    Validate your code at w3.org. Get
    Get FireFox!

How about using a Coral cache or similar service to distribute the load?

Adam
    "If youíre not using valid HTML, then you havenít created a Web page. You may have created something else, but it isnít a Web page." - Joe Clark

Do something amazing (USA) | Make Poverty History

I host my files at Download.com.

Not only do they provide the bandwidth, but files on that system are trusted because of reviews for virus and other malicious code. In addition, they will get a lot of exposure.

It use to be you'd pay about $70 for a year, but last I checked, I saw a monthly rate at about $9.

You may want to check them out.

Go to http://www.upload.com to put files on download.com

If 50 gigs of bandwidth for under $7/month works for you then click my website button below for info. Actually it's for full-fledged hosting with lots of bells & whistles and I've found them to be highly reliable (which is my main concern since I host sites for others).

try http://www.streamlinenet.co.uk/bu.php I think it is.

UK Based, but has unlimited web space, and unlimited bandwidth ( about £70 per year)
    Ta

Kevin
    www.kmsitebuilder.co.uk

Thread Information