www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Random Closing

Random Closing

I have a pretty brand new pc. I got it in October 2004. Recently i have been having some pretty frustrating issues with it. It's really only one problem but it occurs many times within one day. The other night i was playing a computer game and all of the sudden without warning it shut down to my desktop. No load at all just closed. So i booted it back up and it did it again after a while. Then when i was playing it the next day i was playing for like an hour and then it shut down again. This has happend many instances and not only is it happening with my computer games but my screensaver! I did a spybot search and destroy scan and it found a "DSO Exploit". I'm not sure what this is or if it has anything to do with my problem but this "DSO Exploit" is found on my computer every time that i scan it. I also have the free version of AVG by Grisoft and scanned my computer with that. I put it on scan and turned off my moniter and went to bed. When i woke up the next morning i had a little window on my screen saying The picture slideshow screensaver has encountered a problem and needs to close. Would you like to close this window or submit the error report to microsoft. Or something like that. So i submitted it. I submit all these reports when my computer does this to me cuz its angering me. How can i get rid of this issue. I'm not really wanting to format my hard drive and reinstall everything. What can i do? Thank you.

Download a free trial or norton or pc-cillin (or if you can get your hands on sophos). Then run one of those. Disable system restore before you do it.
    Last edited by PeOfEo; 12-31-2004 at 11:26 AM.

A completely free and oneof the most comprehensive virus scan utility can be found Here. Firts of all get your system scanned, it this utility is not able to delete all the viruses then it will provide you with names so that you can look up the manual deltes for viruses.
    Second what you are sayig that might have something to do with your systems faulty parts(Bad memory sticks come to mind to start with).
    Uninstall the software that you suspect is causing this, game and screensaver, if that solves it then you are all set otherwise you will have to get your hardware checked to for problems.
    Cheers

Khalid

Message Posting Guidelines In These Forums, Please read these before posting any question.
    Web site: webapplikations.com
    Web Resources Page:Web Resources

It might be a power supply problem, you never know. Go here: http://www.lavalys.com

Download Everst Home from the Products Section (Free)

Install

Go to folder called sensor

Scroll to bottom and look at voltages

Then go here:
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/...upplies-02.html

Make sure your voltages are tolerated.

Then open up your computer. Touch the brackets which hold the optical drives to get rid of static electricity.

Look at the Power supply (Thing that power cable plugs into the computer) and the sticker that is on it. Tell me what the number is for the 3.3 v, 5 v, and 12v columns or rows are. They should be something like 20a, 30a, 40a, or so on.

Then tell me the specs of your computer, all of them. You can get them from everst whatever. CPU, harddrivse, optical drivs, memory, video card, everything. Waiting for your response.
    Last edited by theuedimaster; 12-31-2004 at 01:13 AM.
    <? Damn Browser Incompatibilities ?>
    Dell 1505~2.0 Core Duo~1 gig DDR2-533~ Radeon x1400(256mb)~ Hitachi 100gb 7200rpm
    <? Go Blue. ?>

Originally posted by Khalid Ali
    A completely free and oneof the most comprehensive virus scan utility can be found Here. Firts of all get your system scanned, it this utility is not able to delete all the viruses then it will provide you with names so that you can look up the manual deltes for viruses.
    Second what you are sayig that might have something to do with your systems faulty parts(Bad memory sticks come to mind to start with).
    Uninstall the software that you suspect is causing this, game and screensaver, if that solves it then you are all set otherwise you will have to get your hardware checked to for problems.
    pc-cillin is good... but I am still a huge advocate of sophos. I like their stuff!

Originally posted by theuedimaster
    It might be a power supply problem, you never know. Go here: http://www.lavalys.com

Download Everst Home from the Products Section (Free)

Install

Go to folder called sensor

Scroll to bottom and look at voltages

Then go here:
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/...upplies-02.html

Make sure your voltages are tolerated.

Then open up your computer. Touch the brackets which hold the optical drives to get rid of static electricity.

Look at the Power supply (Thing that power cable plugs into the computer) and the sticker that is on it. Tell me what the number is for the 3.3 v, 5 v, and 12v columns or rows are. They should be something like 20a, 30a, 40a, or so on.

Then tell me the specs of your computer, all of them. You can get them from everst whatever. CPU, harddrivse, optical drivs, memory, video card, everything. Waiting for your response.
    Its not the whole system that is locking up though. If it were a power supply issue I would expect the whole system to shut down or atleast lockup from time to time... not a screen saver and a game and other things randomly crashing. It sounds like a pc version of the flu to me.

Yah thats what i thought it was. some kind of virus or something. I downloaded a free virus scan because the one i had (AVG) was a poc. I scanned my computer and it found a trojan and 2 infected files. It deleted the trojan and didn't do anything to the two infected files. Now i havent used my computer much since i did this because of other things so i don't know if this solved my problem or not. Should i be worried or do something about these two files?

Yah thats what i thought it was. some kind of virus or something. I downloaded a free virus scan because the one i had (AVG) was a poc. I scanned my computer and it found a trojan and 2 infected files. It deleted the trojan and didn't do anything to the two infected files. Now i havent used my computer much since i did this because of other things so i don't know if this solved my problem or not. Should i be worried or do something about these two files?

Download Ad-Aware Personal SE. Very good program, updates every week, works very well, deletes and quarantines virusese and spyware, and best of all, its free. Go to http://www.download.com and search for it.
    <? Damn Browser Incompatibilities ?>
    Dell 1505~2.0 Core Duo~1 gig DDR2-533~ Radeon x1400(256mb)~ Hitachi 100gb 7200rpm
    <? Go Blue. ?>

Thread Information