dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can we disable back button on the browser?

Question can we disable back button on the browser?

hai friends

i have a simple doubt

can we DISABLE the back button on the browse..

or atleast notify that it is not valid to go back.

advance thanks

by for now

austin
    Share on Google+

Inserting the following code will prevent users going back to the previous page -
    Code:
    javascript:window.history.forward(1);
    In NS 7.1, Firefox 1.0 and IE 6, pressing the back button or selecting "back" from the right click menu will simply cause the present page to be redisplayed. History is not updated. I haven't tried it with earlier browsers.

I do not believe that you can get JS to display an alert when users hover over the back button, so you may need to warn them when they come to your site that you have effectively disabled the back button.

You haven't mentioned why you wish to disable the back button. If your site displays only virtual pages that are generated on the fly and displayed directly to the window, then you may also wish to disable the default actions of some of the function keys and Ctrl key short cuts (and this may not meet with the approval of some posters!)
    Share on Google+

Originally posted by Rob Dixon
    Inserting the following code will prevent users going back to the previous page -
    Code:
    In NS 7.1, Firefox 1.0 and IE 6, pressing the back button or selecting "back" from the right click menu will simply cause the present page to be redisplayed. History is not updated. I haven't tried it with earlier browsers.

I do not believe that you can get JS to display an alert when users hover over the back button, so you may need to warn them when they come to your site that you have effectively disabled the back button.

You haven't mentioned why you wish to disable the back button. If your site displays only virtual pages that are generated on the fly and displayed directly to the window, then you may also wish to disable the default actions of some of the function keys and Ctrl key short cuts (and this may not meet with the approval of some posters!)
    That doesn't work!!
    Share on Google+

I did a copy and paste of the code so I don't know how the space between java and script crept in, but I apologise for not having spotted it.

The code should be -

Code:
    This does work as I described in my earlier post.

When the user clicks on the back button, the browser will return to the previous page where the above code will force the browser to go forward
    again to the page from which the back button was clicked, thus nullifying the back button. The user will believe that the back button has been disabled.

The above code must be in the previous page and in all pages.
    Share on Google+

It has happened again - I don't know how. The code below is correct on preview. I will submit it again

Code:
    Share on Google+

This is an error in the forum software - the code was correct when I submitted the reply.

There should not be a space between "java" and "script"
    Share on Google+

Originally posted by Rob Dixon
    This is an error in the forum software - the code was correct when I submitted the reply.

There should not be a space between "java" and "script"
    This is not an error, but it is reality (I assume the space is inserted for security reasons). Anyway, using your code (with or without a space) will not modify the browser's behaviour if the back button is clicked.

Regards PJ

Share on Google+

Please inform us as to why exactly you are trying to do this. There has to be a better, more sensible way.
    Share on Google+

Back button - IE and Firefox

Reference to previous comments, I have used with two pages A and B (linked) the following between the HEAD tags of A. Operating the link to B and with IE the back button becomes a refresh button (perfect).

<SCRIPT type="text/javascript">
    <!--//
    window.history.forward(1);
    //-->
    </SCRIPT>

However with Firefox this doesnt work. Any comments or alternative JS for Firefox?
    Share on Google+

Just wondering it there is a way to disable the text "Back" when you right-click, instead of just not letting it happen?

Thanks!
    Share on Google+

Could you not just have the webpage open in a new window of its own, then from that point on use document.location.replace() to insure that there will be no history to go back to?
    Share on Google+

I've attached a document. Is there anyway to disable the "Back" part of that menu?
    Share on Google+

Not within a web browser. But if your document opens in a new window/tab then it will have no history, making the back button and the back menu disabled. For all your links from that point on, have them use document.location.replace() so the history isn't updated.
    Share on Google+

That's a great idea. I have a .js file. Is there a way to put that line of code in my file, but just not have the startup page read that line of code?
    Share on Google+

So there's not a way to just eliminate that whole menu? Because I would also like to eliminate the "View Source" feature. Any ideas?
    Share on Google+

Thread Information