www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delete?

Delete?

How come I can't seem to delete my posts when I've come to my senses?
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Re: Delete?

Originally posted by Charles
    How come I can't seem to delete my posts when I've come to my senses?
    It annoys me too. Every so often I have to edit a post and put in a . because I misread the OP or something and if anyone reads my post I will sound like a jackass.

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    i agree. i think it's time that the ban on post-deleting be lifted.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

I know, most often you just wind up with a post that says something like "I did not see the post above, could a mod please delete it"... on the other hand it prevents people posting and deleteing as a quick bump to a post without it looking like it was actualy bumped...
    But then again having to ask a mod to do something you should ethicly be able to do is annoying and can take a while...
    If you are using PHP please use the [PHP] and [/PHP] forum tags for highlighting...
    The same applies to HTML and the forums [HTML][/HTML] tags.

Originally posted by rhsunderground
    i agree. i think it's time that the ban on post-deleting be lifted.
    Why for heaven's sake has the ban been imposed?

I am a newbie here but I already "was in need" of deleting a post because of a double submission (which wasn't even caused by me as far as I can tell).

PJ

Doesn't the Delete ban have something to do with Dave Clark or some such? Anyway, the whole idea is inane. If somebody really wishes to delete all their posts, it's simply a matter of editing all of their posts. Come on now, certain things are just a waste of database space. Certainly, a post which is edited to "." can't be better than no post at all.

MstrBob, you got the point!

PJ

Originally posted by MstrBob
    Doesn't the Delete ban have something to do with Dave Clark or some such?
    yeah, that's it, but he is slightly banned right now.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

How is one slightly banned?

How is one slightly banned?
    lol. he's quite banned; it's just a phrase.

Just curious.

Doesn't the Delete ban have something to do with Dave Clark or some such?
    So what did he do that was bad enough to get booted? Hope I'm not doing something here along the line of saying the name "Lord Voldemort" in Harry Potter. I don't really read Harry Potter, but had to see all the movies with my son.
    Jon

Hi!
    Originally posted by wamboid
    Hope I'm not doing something here along the line of saying the name "Lord Voldemort" in Harry Potter. I don't really read Harry Potter, but had to see all the movies with my son.
    Nor do I and I never saw the movie(s), but I guess, I understand what you want to say (despite my "wrong" mother language). In short: Dave was a super moderator here and when he decided to leave, he mass deleted his posts. A "normal" user like you and me could delete single posts (his/her own ones) and when deleting the first post of a thread started by that user the entire thread was deleted.

Now we are no longer able to delete rubbish, unintended posts etc. because the delete feature is disabled.

Cheers - Pit

Edit: just after having hit 'submit', I saw your signature. Congratulations to having become a grandpa!
    The perfect website, which isn't one: http://www.pit-r.de (completely re-designed)

Bad news for many "important" members here: I am still alive.

Pit has it right...

If you have an entire thread you wish to not see anylonger just report that thread to a moderator and they can move that thread to the graveyard...

If it's a single post in a thread... either edit it, leave it or report that post as well.

To your defense I'm sure that type of thing would not happen again! However that one person made a lot of threads useless, something I would not want to see happen again.
    Compguy Pete
    The Benevolent Administrator

No child should have to deal with a Brain Stem Tumor...
    http://www.OneAna.com

is the delete ban lifted, i was editing my post and saw a delete option...
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's probably not a built-in feature of vBulletin but I could see a time limited delete thing working. They could delete their own posts for like a minute after they have posted it but after that minute they cannot any longer. Kinda like that new feature that has been becoming popular for blog comment areas. If someone could figure out how to implement such a system it might just work out. There might even be a mod/hack out there for vBulletin that would accomplish this.

Just my .02 cents.

Thread Information