www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: help for javascript to show readers ip on page

help for javascript to show readers ip on page

Any one know some script that can write a reader's Ip address to a html page? Most appreciated, Dan.

Trouble with doing it with javascript is that you get the pc's ip address. This will only be the users ip address that the internet sees when he is on dialup. If you used javascript to get my ip, I would see 192.168.0.101, which is my local ip address on my network, not the ip I am browsing the internet from. Do you have any server side scripting available (including ssi).

I don't have server side scripting enabled, I'm using free hosting. Is there anyway through html/xml etc that you are aware of? Most appreciated.

Not through html and xml no, html is just for structure of a webpage and xml is just for storing infomation and presenting it to the user.

If you don't have any server side scripting then yes, use javascript, I'm not quite sure of the apropriate function, google ought to find it for you.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

Originally posted by the tree
    Not through html and xml no, html is just for structure of a webpage and xml is just for storing infomation and presenting it to the user.

If you don't have any server side scripting then yes, use javascript, I'm not quite sure of the apropriate function, google ought to find it for you.
    Well like I said before, even using javascript is only going to work for dial up users. But I guess that is the only option here.

Thread Information