www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: It isn't Geocities, It's Yahoo Pagebuilder.

It isn't Geocities, It's Yahoo Pagebuilder.

Okay, a while ago, I offered to make a buddy's (whom I shall call Mike) page better, by redoing its layout with CSS.

Mike said "fine", and I redid his page, and everything was happiness and yayness... until today. He had a friend put on a counter for him. Whereupon the page went all to puke.

So, he comes to me, begging for help, and I checked his page, and it seems that suddenly, most of the head, CSS included, was now being ignored. Okay...

Then I saw the dreaded tag <meta name="generator" content="Created Using Yahoo! PageBuilder 2.61.87">

Oh, dear. Oh, dear me. That is a meta tag I do not want to see.

So, I had a copy of the correct page, stuck the counter in the appropriate spot, and told Mike everything was fixed. I also told Mike that, under NO circumstances was he to let his friend use PageBuilder.

Mike, figuring that PageBuilder was the root of all evil in this case, said he'd just come to me.

No problem buddy.

So, thus, I have learned: It isn't Geocities. It's &$*&^*&%&$*&*&^&^%##&**^$%^%@^%*$&^$#^$@*&$%@^!!!!!!! PAGEBUILDER!

?
    Geocities sucks, and so does page builder. They go hand in hand... both are utter crap.

Everybody goes through their Geocities stage. It's a right of passage...

Well, Yahoo Pagebuilder has GOTTA be worse than Geocities alone. I mean, with Mike's page, I coded it MYSELF. Pagebuilder... *Whimper.*

Originally posted by Mr Initial Man
    Well, Yahoo Pagebuilder has GOTTA be worse than Geocities alone. I mean, with Mike's page, I coded it MYSELF. Pagebuilder... *Whimper.*
    I pretty much lump them together....

Originally posted by MstrBob
    Everybody goes through their Geocities stage. It's a right of passage...
    I never went through Geocities stage. *Pats self on back, then sees everyone looking at him suspiciously* Okay, okay, I used Angelfire!

*hehe* I used 0catch, so I never went through a Geosites or Anglefire stage.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

Technicalities.... Geocities stage. Come on, it's a generic term. Technically, I used Angelfire then Geocities. But we all know what it entails. Hideous colors, bunch of animated GIFs, perhaps a huge/moving background. No layout at all. Everything goes from top to bottom. Hit counter, maybe a guestbook and all that. *shudders*

The colours were pretty hideious yeh, cyan background if I remember corectly. I didn't have any animated gifs or background images where my text was though, honestly. No layout of course, and yes I did have a hit counter.

What's wrong with guestbooks?
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

What isn't wrong with guestbooks?

Nah, I'm just saying that because, have you realized, how many "proffessional" websites, or websites by proffessionals have guestbooks. I'm not saying they are particularly bad (unless you have a third-party guestbook) but they are normally assosciated with n00b5!

Well money making websites tend not to have guestbooks because they look unproffesional. Most blogs have a comment thingumy and surely forums are pretty much very complicated guestbooks.

Third party guestbooks are o.k. for beginners who just want ideas and feedback et cetera, just so long as they aren't in Iframes!

The main problem with them, is that for most of the newcomers who want them, there's only about two or three entries. Which kind of makes it look pathetic. I mean, if you've got more than 10, you're site is 'popular'. I just think there are better methods of user interaction than guestbooks.

I definetly went geocities, the saw the lack of flexiblity, then went to angelfire, then got hosting
    <? Damn Browser Incompatibilities ?>
    Dell 1505~2.0 Core Duo~1 gig DDR2-533~ Radeon x1400(256mb)~ Hitachi 100gb 7200rpm
    <? Go Blue. ?>

I actually never used GeoCities until after I was doing real coding. I didn't want some MP3s cramping my Furnation site.

I've finally dumped Geocities in favour of using up some room on Furtopia, so now my pages aren't plagued with popups.

BTW, I have both a guestbook AND a hit counter (actually several hit counters) on my double site.
    Last edited by Mr Initial Man; 01-09-2005 at 02:53 AM.

Thread Information