www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: what does dis mean?

what does dis mean?

I'm currently learning XML and HTML from this wonderful site www.w3schools.com
    I got this string of code from the tutorial in the site and there are some parts which i dont understand which werent explained inside the tutorial

1. what is the <nitf> tag?
    2. why does the body tag has a <body.head> .head with it?
    3. do i always have to start the code with <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>? must it b always version 1.0 and ISO-8859-1? if not what are the other choices?

Thanks guys!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
    <nitf>
    <head>
    <title>Colombia Earthquake</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    <body.head>
    <headline>
    <hl1>143 Dead in Colombia Earthquake</hl1>
    </headline>
    <byline>
    <bytag>By Jared Kotler, Associated Press Writer</bytag>
    </byline>
    <dateline>
    <location>Bogota, Colombia</location>
    <story.date>Monday January 25 1999 7:28 ET</story.date>
    </dateline>
    </body.head>
    </body>
    </nitf>

Re: what does dis mean?

Originally posted by Magma
    I'm currently learning XML and HTML from this wonderful site www.w3schools.com
    Great! Gald to see people are using the proper resources
    1. what is the <nitf> tag?
    The whole point of XML is that you create your own tags, it might well mean new infomation ticker feed, or something.
    2. why does the body tag has a <body.head> .head with it?
    Not sure about that one, better wait 'till one of the xml masters get here.
    3. do i always have to start the code with <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>? must it b always version 1.0 and ISO-8859-1? if not what are the other choices?
    The first line in the document - the XML declaration - defines the XML version and the character encoding used in the document. In this case the document conforms to the 1.0 specification of XML and uses the ISO-8859-1 (Latin-1/West European) character set.
    -From w3schools
    So yes, that line of code is nessersary.
    And urm here be some advice on how to pick a character set: http://www.w3.org/International/tuto...-enc/#choosing
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

Thread Information