www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Why does a textarea effect a table cell ?

Why does a textarea effect a table cell ?

Hi,
    I have a website created with a table. In the webpage are two cells which in fact are iframes and in another part of the table is form for contacting for more infromation.

http://img105.exs.cx/img105/2594/iframetextarea0bd.jpg

If I change the with of the textarea it effects the size of the iframe at the top of the page.

Can anyone explain to me why this is happening.

I know table are going out of fashion but for right now this is what it is. I will changing over to Div Box mode but for right now this is what I have.

Re: Why does a textarea effect a table cell ?

Originally posted by TiYogi
    If I change the with of the textarea it effects the size of the iframe at the top of the page.

Can anyone explain to me why this is happening.
    Probably because the browser keeps all of the cells in the same table column at the same width. You can set a width on the IFRAME to keep the IFRAME at a particular size.

Hi phpnovice,

In regards to your reply. I do have iframe width set to 100% for it useage.

Probably because the browser keeps all of the cells in the same table column at the same width. You can set a width on the IFRAME to keep the IFRAME at a particular size.
    However the coding for the arear which holds the contact for is coded like this:

Code:
    <tr>
    <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#CC0033">
    <p class="c1" style="font-size: 20">If you would like further information<br>
    from Ti Yogi Bowmen.<br>
    And the area inside of this is where the textbox is. The textbox itself is not full width of the cell involved. One interesting point I discovered was if I make the textbox larger the the righthand iframe also gets bigger.

Code:
    <textarea name="Comments" rows="5" cols="30"></textarea></p>
    As you can see the textarea is 5 x 30 and the iframe is about 40 wide. However if I change the textarea 5 x 60 then the iframe expands to about 50% larger the then the orginal size.

It seems to be operating in the opposite of the cell being change if the browser kept the cell size the same.

So you see why I can not figure this out. Any other thoughts?

Thread Information