dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need a new monitor...

Need a new monitor...

Hi,

I need to get a new monitor for my computer. When I get one will I need a graphics card and/or what else should I be aware of?

Thanks...

Good monitors come from Samsung, Sony, and NEC-Mitsuibishi. There are also a variety of others that are also very good. Remember that the monitor has to be recieving a video signal from the computer. That either means that your motherboard needs to have onboard video, or you need an actual Video Card. The variety of video cards, from good to bad, change the detail, appearance, and smoothness of games. If you are not playing games, onboard video is all you need to have a good looking desktop and windows enviornment. High power games such as Halo and Doom 3 require powerful video cards to construct the detailed 3d enviornments.

theuedimaster,

Thanks for the response. How can I find out if the motherboard has the video card and what type it is?

Go to http://www.lavalys.com

Download Everest Home from Products Section (It is Free)

Install and open the program. When program is opened, click the button labeled computer. Then the one labled Summary. Now go down to the title called "Display". Tell me what you got for Video Adapter and Video Accelerator. If you don't have a monitor yet for your computer, just post the model number and manufacturer name. I'll search for it... but you can too. Just go to google and check the sites which come up.

theuedimaster,

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

- Mike

Re: Need a new monitor...

Originally posted by Mike Burdick
    Hi,

I need to get a new monitor for my computer. When I get one will I need a graphics card and/or what else should I be aware of?

Thanks...
    I do not want to contradict theuedimaster; I agree with what he pointed out. But: You already have a computer and you already had a monitor. And both have functioned (I guess). Now you need a new monitor for whatever reason. If my assumption is correct, you either already have a graphics card or onboard graphics. It is of course worthwhile to seek advice, because maybe your machine is overaged and your new monitor will be a modern one. Then it might be, that your old comp will not be able to profit from all your new monitor's features. But it would be quite certain, that buying the monitor, plugging it in and (if necessary) change a few OS settings will make your monitor display something.

I would only see a problem if the settings in your OS concerning the old monitor are "too much" for the new one (old one was better), which is unlikely.

PJ

By figuring out what 3d accelerator he may have onboard his motherboard, or the video card he has, we can figure out if it will support his new monitor (in terms of resolution or usage). By the way Mike Burdick, what will you be using the comp for?

theuedimaster,

This computer is a little older and I'm mainly just going to use it for the internet, but then....who knows. The machine is a 733 MHz Pentium IIIE. The motherboard chipset is SIS 630; video adapter SIS 300, and the 3D accelerator is SIS 300. The OS is Windows 2000 NT Professional.

I found a monitor, a Mag Innovision, but it didn't work at first - it only had 16 colors. I then had to load the driver by hand since it's not plug and play. That took a little while to figure out! Anyway, I think I got it working now. By the way, how do I know if the correct drivers for the motherboard chipset are loaded?

Thanks for the help theuedimaster and pj59!

-Mike

When the computer starts up and the memory is checked, somewhere near the top, the version of the bios will be written somewhere. Check with the mobo manuftr. website to see if you have the latest for your motherboard. For drivers, just go to the manufacturers website and install all the latest ones. If you already have them, it will just overwrite them, but they will be just the same.

Thread Information