www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Recently lost my CD drive

Recently lost my CD drive

I recently upgraded from win2000 to winxp, then decided to install the CD banner drivers from the CD that came with the computer (Dell dimension 8100). I got a warning saying there are known issues in XP concerning the drivers I just installed. I un-installed the drivers and somehow deleted some CD ROM dlls now I have lost the CD drive.
    Is there a way I can get the dlls back without re-installing winxp?

www.corepages.com

If you go to my computer is the cd drive there, or is it totally gone?
    <? Damn Browser Incompatibilities ?>
    Dell 1505~2.0 Core Duo~1 gig DDR2-533~ Radeon x1400(256mb)~ Hitachi 100gb 7200rpm
    <? Go Blue. ?>

The CD drive is not visible from My Computer. When I go Device manager the CD ROM has the yellow circle with an exclamation mark. I have tried to un-install and re-install but doesn't work.

You might try and restore your computer to a known state when everything worked. For Windows XP go to START > PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > SYSTEM TOOLS > SYSTEM RESTORE.

Just a thought....

or try physically disconnecting the drive, reboot to allow windows to forget it, then reconnect and let it re-detect.
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

Excellent solution Mike Burdick - it worked, thanks everybody for your help I appreciate it a lot.

Corepages

Thread Information