www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Using the title attribute for any element

Hybrid View

Using the title attribute for any element

I recently learned that you can add an html title attribute to just about any element. It's especially nice for tables. It works much the same way that alt text works for images. I hear that it serves as a keyword for search engines. Is this true? I'd like to hear from the search experts whether the top search engines pay any attention to these titles. Here's an example:

<table border="0" width="200px" title="Overcome emotional overeating and stress eating; learn how to eat normally.">

Thanks.
    Linda Moran

The title attribute is indexed as any other text on a web page. Furthermore, the title attribute is helpful when it comes to verbose browsers (speech browsers). The title text is spoken.

BTW... This script you've got on your web site:

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript"> 
    <!-- 
    if(top != self) top.location = self.location; 
    --> 
    </script>
    I've read your little story in the page code and just want to add my 2 cents worth.

It's possible to un-script that script by placing another script within the frame that wants to frame your web site.
    Your script works with MSN and that's fine. But, it's not foolproof though for any other web site.
    Last edited by philaweb; 01-10-2005 at 05:43 PM.

There has been alot of discussing if the Title attribute has any value at all and so far there is no supporting evidence that it helps.

Google has long ignored many forms of spam techniques that worked in the past, prior to, lets say 2001.

Back then it was easy to rank high in search engines by just optimizing your META tags, title attribute, Alt tags, Comments.

All these have been pretty much eliminated in Googles algorithm and play no roll. Imagine if it did. You know how many people would make use of this. I don't think I could count that high. There is no benefit of adding it to your page since it is invaluable to Googles algorithm

The title attribute is very important when used properly. It is by no means useless. It increases usability for Graphical browsers in the form of a tooltip. Also, IE is the only browser I know of that renders the alt attribute as a tooltip, and that's only if that particular option is selected. For a tooltip, title would be more accessible. In addition, audio browsers utilize the title attribute, so it's far from useless. However, when it comes to Search Engine rankings, well marked-up, semantic pages with textual information and incoming links seem to be the best advice.

The title attribute is very important when used properly. It is by no means useless. It increases usability for Graphical browsers in the form of a tooltip. Also, IE is the only browser I know of that renders the alt attribute as a tooltip, and that's only if that particular option is selected. For a tooltip, title would be more accessible. In addition, audio browsers utilize the title attribute, so it's far from useless.
    I agree. You are seeing it from the Usability perspective.
    Last edited by Intensity; 02-07-2005 at 05:22 PM.

Thread Information