dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: no bios = no boot?!?!

no bios = no boot?!?!

For some odd reason this is what's happening...

My computer was working perfectly (was free from spyware and viruses, I check frequently) until the time I bought a new RAM chip (good deals on boxing day ) and tried to install it on my motherboad ( P4S8X-X (Asus)). I noticed the problem after I bought a 512mb Azenram ram to add on to my current 512mb ram.

This is what I did:
    - when my comp was off, I unplugged all the cables, and grounded myself
    - I opened the comp, dug through the many IDE cables and plugged in the new ram chip on the 2nd ram chip slot
    - rescrewed the comp, plugged in the cables, and turned it on

When I turned it on:
    - the comp seems to start booting up, but NOTHING shows up on the screen, not even my bios screen.
    - no beeps or flashing lights
    - my monitor goes from standby position to on, and then back to standby

Thinking the new ram is faulty, I followed the same steps to remove it from my motherboard, and turned the pc on. However, to my suprise, I got the same blank screen.

I don't think its the video card (mine's a ATI Pro 9600 128mb) which I bought about a year back (boxing day in dec 2003). I try to be safe, so I don't overclock anything.

Can anyone recommend a solution to this problem?

take everything out of your system, leave only proc + vid + old ram in. See if it starts. If it does not take the old ram out and put the new ram in.

ok, will try to do that.

I heard someone say reset the chmos. Is that a good idea?

Yup, that usually will reset a system. Basically, there will by a cmos jumper on your motherboard. First turn off the power. That means literally unplugging it from the outlet. Then change the jumper position. Put the cable back in the outlet (Note: Don't turn on the computer) After a few seconds, take the cable out again, put the jumper back in the originial position, put the cable back in, and turn on the comp after about 10 seconds. That should work. Post if you have questions.

I do not unplug my computer, I have a nice handy power switch on my psu.

Which method should I try first? The one mentioned by theuedimaster or PeOfEo?

do them both at the same time... couldn't hurt.

Lol, ok. I'll try it tmw.

Originally posted by PeOfEo
    do them both at the same time... couldn't hurt.
    Oh yeah... two chicks at the same timem.... oh wait, what?! oh yeah, do both if you feel like it. Basically, you just don't want power to go through the motherboard while you are physically moving the pin. That would be bad.

Originally posted by theuedimaster
    Oh yeah... two chicks at the same timem.... oh wait, what?! oh yeah, do both if you feel like it. Basically, you just don't want power to go through the motherboard while you are physically moving the pin. That would be bad.
    Well if the pc is on while you do it that is a given. But if the box is turned off I think most of the time it will be harmless.

Thread Information