www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Adding Music to Website

Adding Music to Website

Hi

I was referred to this website by my on line store, they said there might be a tutorial on adding music to my web site by html. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks-Layla

Re: Adding Music to Website

Originally posted by layla220
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Well, since you said any help - my help (advice) would be to think twice (or three times) before you add music to a website.

Personal website http://www.ryanbrill.com/
    Business website: http://www.infinitywebdesign.com/
    TypeSpace http://www.typespace.org/

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own!

I agree with pyro. I can't read content while music is looping in the background.

Instead, add a link to the tunes you want to add. That way, it's optional listening.

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    agreed, and moved to general.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

It depends. Are you adding your own music or music that you do not own a license to distribute?

If you are just wanting to play your own created music then I would reccomend, like the others that you give the user an option to play/stop. The default action should be stop and play upon user consent.

I usually prefer a nice player designed in Macromedia Flash, you can the easily scan through tracks. Look around for a free (or cheap) one.

Best Wishes,
    David
    More of a journal than a blog.

Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
    GMail | Mezzoblue | 1976 Design | Zeldman | Justwatchthesky | Jon Hicks | Airbag | All In The Head

I think adding music to a site, if done right, is awesome. It's enriches the whole multimedia thing. Then again I totally agree with most of the other responses, think twice and thrice, but do it for sure... music is nice.

One thing, this is the biggie:
    Place obvious controls on the site: Allow the visitor to turn the music on and off, let them control the volume, and, if at all possible, allow them to choose a selection from a menu.

I think the best sites offer choice, so I suggest giving thr visitor a choice. Let them decide.

That's my $0.02

Originally posted by &gb;
    I think adding music to a site, if done right, is awesome. It's enriches the whole multimedia thing. Then again I totally agree with most of the other responses, think twice and thrice, but do it for sure... music is nice.

One thing, this is the biggie:
    Place obvious controls on the site: Allow the visitor to turn the music on and off, let them control the volume, and, if at all possible, allow them to choose a selection from a menu.

I think the best sites offer choice, so I suggest giving thr visitor a choice. Let them decide.

That's my $0.02
    Please list a site where the music actually helps (besides the music embedded in maybe a flash cartoon). I have never ever found a site where I want to hear it's background music.

It's not that it helps per se, it just makes the experience nice on some sites. It lends itself to the atmosphere. Just like motion pictures... all that background music is not there because the director and producer are fools. Music is essential in that field, and the web is going rich multimedia. But like I wrote, the main thing is that the user can turn of on/off if they want/don't want the sound. I mean how can you disagree and both of those points (if you don't like it, turn it off, and let the ones who do like it at times, like me, have their cake)?

You asked for a link, I could give you lierally hundreds of them, but here are asix that have nice music. And the visitor can turn it off:

http://www.billybussey.com/ (a Flash Guru's site)
    http://www.salvacampillo.com/ (a photographer's site)
    http://www.billyharveymusic.com/ (a musician's site, with music?)
    http://www.firstbornmultimedia.com/w.../flashpage.htm (fashion site)
    http://www.walkman.ca/main.html (not music ironically, but essential sounds)
    http://www.hamtul.dk/ (steel farbicator's site with great music)

Layla, I suggest you offer your visitors what they might like and then let them change it if they want and you'll hardly ever go wrong. I don't think denying them is the best move IMO.

By the way, these sites are all excellent. The only thing I don't like is the Dk site's splash, but the site itself is topnotch.
    Last edited by &gb;; 01-19-2005 at 08:45 PM.

You said that it makes a nice expericne, but what about the users who browse the internet with winamp on, or the users with 56k?

I noticed that all of the sites you listed also have horrid load times. That music seems to be just one huge waste of bandwidth. I have never needed sound to browse a website (however a blind person who needs sound to browse a website will have an audio browser (or braille) and a flash website will fail for him).

My thoughts on music: It is not essential and it is wasteful. If used incorrectly it can be very annoying and be the mark of an amature. By default, if there is music, it should be disabled.

I agree totally with your last comment. Disable it by default, but for the sites I mentioned, definitely provide it and let the user initiate it at their command.

You see, it enhances the experiences greatly if you have the resources. I do. Bandwidth is cheap like dirt and I have cable broadband and really appreciate Salva Campillo's nice music, it makes his photos come to life even more.

I do, however, think sites like those should have small html-only splash pages ("skip intro" is not enough) that tell the visitor the site requirements beforehand if there are going to be high resource demands - out of fairness to the visitor. Also, they should provide a smaller html version of the content where possible (or make it so by another means if at all doable). Some do it better than others. I don't use Flash myself but I can see it's benefit as a tool in a hybrid site.

One would think that under normal circumstances, though, that visiting a Flash designer's site, or a photoladen site, that the demands would be high. I would expect it.

The world is moving right along. It is not slowing down but getting faster, and smaller. I really think I gave Layla good advice, as did you... If you add music to a web site, do it right, do it smart, and don't forget about the people with slower connections. And while the she's at it she shouldn't forget those people with smaller monitors, handheld devices, text browsers and whatnot either.

What can I say? I really enjoy some of the multimedia available on the web nowadays. As long as it's all done the right way it's not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion.

Let me give you one more site. It's pretty much my first web page. It ain't much but my company's distributors like it.
    Sell Green Methods (we sell good bugs that eat bad bugs so growers don't have to spray chemicals). On the left side, the links menu, there is a link call Workman AV. It's a little popup. A jukebox so to speak. it like 9 songs or something and a corrosponding slideshow for each. All in the little popup, complete with controls. A lot of them like it and use it. They close their browser (all have fast always on connections) and let this thing sit on their desktop while they work. It's distracting and they love it. perfect for on-the-job (hence the name Workman AV for audio-visual) So the site is **** probably... I think it sucks but that was then and it works for them so it's all cool. But I do think that I went about adding the music correctly. I even emailed my distributors ahead of time to tell them all about it so they'd be prepared.

Thread Information