www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Usability guidelines

Usability guidelines

I am currently researching into usability guidelines and wanted to know if there are many conflicts between them?

As an example, creating a site that's professional and eye-catching may conflict with efficiency as there may be more graphics.

Can anyone think of any more usability guidelines that may conflict with eachother??

Thanks

You might want to peruse Jakob Nielsen's site. For a lighter view on things, check out Vincent Flanders's Web Pages That Suck.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thanks but I have visited both of them already! I'm looking for some different ideas.

The main thing to look at when you are making a site is:

[list=1][*]Can the person find the information they are after?[*]Do they need to search for information/navigation?[*]Is it laid out in a logical order?[*]Am I restricting the user in any way?[/list=1]

You should answer them

[list=1][*]Yes[*]No[*]Yes[*]No[/list=1]

As long as you make the site user friendly and keep your colors/images reasonable, you should have no trouble.

Eric
    Tech Author [Ajax In Action, JavaScript: Visual Blueprint] | twitter | linkedin | http://www.pascarello.com

I am doing a project, not on how to create a usable website, but about how different usability heuristics can conflict such as integrated help and support for beginners versus simplicity. I need the problems rather than the solutions

Thanks!

Hey Funkymonkey Junkie,

I think I might have the right thing you are looking for!

EyeTracker

Thread Information