dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Partitioning?

Partitioning?

I have downloaded PHLAK to a bootable cd and have played around with it for a while and decided that i want it on my hd. 1 Problem. I have Windows XP Home and i have no clue where to start or what to do. I have heard something about partitioning the hd to have one segment of it have one os and the other segment the other os. I have also looked into the program called something along the lines of "partition Magic". This program costs $60 and i do not want to spend this kind of money to do this. I think i have given you all the info you need to help me on this. If not just tell me what else you need. Thank you.

PHLAK might have a partitioning program with it, but I don't know so I will instead recommend you download a copy of KNOPPIX. This is also a CD bootable Linux. Once you're running Knoppix you want to run Knoppix->System->QTParted. Through this utility you can resize your NTFS partition and then format the freed space as an extended partition. Then you simply install your hacker's linux onto the free space.
    for(split(//,'))*))91:+9.*4:1A1+9,1))2*:..)))2*:31.-1)4131)1))2*:3)"'))
    {for(ord){$i+=$_&7;grep(vec($s,$i++,1)=1,1..($_>>3)-4);}}print"$s\n";

I have searched PHLAK and i found this partitioning program. I replaced something called dell somethin :/ I still kept xp as bootable and it said the partition was suceesfully created and it was properly installed. How do i access linux now?

Any partition editing can be dangerous. Know before going into it you could very well corrupt a file or loose files and have to repair or reinstall windows.

well its been done and i dont' see any differences so i hope it didn't do anything and i don't thing it did anything to harm stuff. Would you happen to know how to access the other partitions? I named it linux

How to access the other partition from windows? Can't be done without formating it in ntfs. Now linux on the other hand (I am assuming linux is installed on the linux partition (and swap partition, etc) can see your ntfs partition and read it, but not write to it. There are some tools that you can install on linux to write to ntfs, but I have heard horror sottires about linux corrupting essential data on the ntfs partition because people were saving files to it using those ntfs writing tools.

okay. Maybe i don't want to do this anymore. Umm before i did all this i created a system restore point. I'm not sure if this works for the whole system or just the windows partition. If i restore it will the linux partition go back to the dell thing?
    Last edited by drumbum360; 01-22-2005 at 03:34 PM.

Originally posted by drumbum360
    okay. Maybe i don't want to do this anymore. Umm before i did all this i created a system restore point. I'm not sure if this works for the whole system or just the windows partition. If i restore it will the linux partition go back to the dell thing?
    No. The system restore only effects what is on windows. Windows can see your hard drives, all of them, but it cannot see a partition that is not ntfs.

Thread Information