www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Providing alternate to non-accessible table

Providing alternate to non-accessible table

I am battling with some tables on a site. The site is for holiday rentals of apartments, and there is an availability calender which shows availability for a date by color. This site was my first attempt at a general web site rather than IE specific, data driven, non standards system I have been working on for a few years.

There is a new version of the site I am working on and this site I want to be fully accessible. Now I do not want to lose the calender, however by its nature it is large, won't linearize well (at all!), but provides easy to see information for standard browser access.

The page in question is here

On this page there is an alternate look at the data giving periods free and prices. Again large but will linearize okay, and I plan to make this easier to understand but hope to keep the same format type.

The questions:
    How can I provide a good alternative to a calender? Is the price table good enough?
    Will strike via CSS work at some level to provide non color alternatives?
    How can I point effectively from a non-accessible table to an accessible format?
    Can I still keep aiming for AAA if I have a set of tables that are impossible for a screen reader to cope with?

All help here is appreciated.
    Asino

You can always aim but you cannot always gain AAA, the calendars are perhaps tables under those conditions just make sure you use tbody, summary and scope and such.

You provide a link which says something on the lines of an alternative linerised list of the calendar is available here if you follow this link.

Strike in CSS is purely stylistic whereas <del> is not. You have the problem you are relying upon colour.

Using tables for tabular data is a good and proper thing and a calendar counts as tabular data. See http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/tables.html for details.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Something new every day!

<del> looks like it will help enormously. Never considered it's use before. Thanks Robert.

I will continue to use the tables and follow the guidelines. The use of scope and axis will also help here. Thank you Charles for the link, although I had seen it way back, its signifigance had passed me by.

With <del> I believe I can use the color (which is eay to use for most people) and provide a useful alternative for screen readers, non CSS users and those with sight disabilities. If I am wrong here please let me know.

A link just prior to the calender table to an alternative should suffice, I think.

AAA is a goal, not easily (maybe not even possible under this sites structure) achievable. You have to have a goal though.

When it is finished, can I run it passed here again?

Asino

Thread Information