www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Making compatable CD's

Making compatable CD's

At present I have an XP machine using "Record Now" (Sonic) that came with Win XP on HP computer. Adaptec "EZ CD Creator v #5-Platinum on second HP computer and "Nero" on Dell Laptop and an old Compac Laptop that will not read most CD's I burn. I gave up using Drag & Drop between the machines. Even the CD's I burn with Sonic "Record Now" don't like the Nero machine or my old compac computer. Is there a way I could use the same software on all 4 computers. The Sonic is the newest but I don't know if it will work on Win-98se. Is one better then another to use (easy to use) and will work on XP & Win98. These are all for Data and not music or any thing fancy. Thanks Vic.

Well, burning applications burn according to standards; so this isn't your problem. Chances are that you are using a CD-R the other burners cannot 'see'. I've had this problem before; you just need to find a brand of CD-R that works in all of your burners.

More on Same CD Problem

01/30/05 <> Kim Komando News Letter (Raido Show)-> Don't need to worry about different types, at least for making CDs on a computer. To your computer, data is data. A regular CD blank will accept music, data and photo files. It doesn't care.

This may sound like a "no-duh", but have you tried the cd on any other devices? For example, can you burn a music cd on both softwares, run it in a 'new' cd-player that reads cd-r's and then read it in another computer? There are many cases where (as Phil said) the cd-r is at fault. In other cases, certain softwares will 'format' the cd-r's, (such as DirectCD), which I have found makes it unreadable on many computers and cd-players.

BTW, I use 'Roxio' and haven't had a problem.

-Gorky
    Faster than an OC-48 Line! More powerful than an AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Processor! Able to jump entire forums in a single bound!

Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF...

Feeling the angst of a teenage torpor? Visit A to the Power of Two for help/hinderance.

"...and the Lord said to John, Come forth and ye shall receive eternal life, but instead John came fifth and won a toaster."

<pihlopase> Jesus Saves
    <jbroome> pases to moses, SCOOOOORE

Exactly. So far, through my own trials, I have found, believe it or not, Imation CD-R's to work in more Readers and Recorders than any other tried.

Also, as Gorky stated, DirectCD or the like format the disc for a type of 'quick access' which can render the disc un-usable to a system that does not have DirectCD or the like installed.

How are you creating these CD's (What application). Technically, I also use Roxio (Windows XP built in burning support is written by Roxio)
    Last edited by PhillMc; 02-01-2005 at 01:51 PM.

Originally posted by PhillMc
    Exactly. So far, through my own trials, I have found, believe it or not, Imation CD-R's to work in more Readers and Recorders than any other tried.
    Be careful when buying these though, as they package 20 of 'em in a 50 cd package and then wrap a label around the container so you can't see past the top cds. To the casual buyer who doesn't read too far into the label, it looks like a 50 cd purchase. While it's not false advertising or anything heavily dubious, it's still rather subversive.

"Formerly when great fortunes were only made in war, war was business; but now when great fortunes are only made by business: Business is war!" (Christian Nevell Bovee)

-Gorky
    Faster than an OC-48 Line! More powerful than an AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Processor! Able to jump entire forums in a single bound!

Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF...

Feeling the angst of a teenage torpor? Visit A to the Power of Two for help/hinderance.

"...and the Lord said to John, Come forth and ye shall receive eternal life, but instead John came fifth and won a toaster."

<pihlopase> Jesus Saves
    <jbroome> pases to moses, SCOOOOORE

Sonic & AMD

2-12-05 [HP] 12:30pm **** Recived Call from Pankaj Joshi from the Advanced Support Group at HP.***** went through same issues but "He asked if my computer was running the "AMD" chip and when I said "yes" he said they were having problems with XP-SP2, Sonic DLA and the AMD chip and were working on the problem & would let me know when they had it fixed. I the meantime I could download a free utility that should work "Burn fo Free" from > Please use the link below to download the burn4free software > http://www.download.com/Burn4Free-CD...ml?tag=lst-0-1 & this would be better then shuting down by holding in the off button for the 15 seconds. HP does not offer any other progam that would work at present. ( Many Many Hours & Days of Installing & uninstalling progams & resetting settings, contacting Sonic & Microsft to finely come to this conculision)

Why not just bypass using burning software and use Windows XP built in burning support for burning data, and Windows Media Player for burning music. Sounds to me the problem isn't your burner or CD's that your using, it's your badly written software.

Problem Was ->

HP, MS, and Sonic finely traced the problem down to AMD processor running XP with sp2. They say they are all working on it. When the DLA worked the computer would not shut down. We Un-Installed all Sonic software and instaled Nero-6 and every thing works great.
    We Contected Best Buy main office and they told us to buy Nero and have it installed by them and then ask HP to pick up the tab. Daaaa How stuped do they think there customers are. Vic.

Thread Information