www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Home server

Home server

I figured I'd go ahead and set up a Linux server on my home network to do all my programming before uploading, to conserve bandwidth. So now I'm stuck and am looking for anyone that can set me straight with some advice or usefull links. My computor is windows based. I want to be able to upload to my home server, have it run scripts (perl,php), then serve the results to my browser.

So far, I've installed Debian 3 woody, installed apache, installed php4, Perl with additional modules are in. I've set up default TCP/IP. I have some experience with the Bourne shell.

Here's my problem. I haven't a clue what to do to make everything work. I've read a good amount of info in regards to the components, but can't find a simple article on tying them all together so that I can go back to my PC and develop sites similar to my webhosters service.

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have any experiance using/setting up a Linux machine? If not, I'd recommend using a Windows based server -- reason being; one can cause some damage to a linux installation while logged in as 'su' (root) if they aren't really sure of how things work.

Absolutely not. Windows servers are the most suseptible to viruses and malware, and are likely to have broken security and infection. For servers, Linux is the best.

Originally posted by theuedimaster
    Absolutely not. Windows servers are the most suseptible to viruses and malware, and are likely to have broken security and infection. For servers, Linux is the best.
    I didn't say Windows was a better server. In fact, I have to agree with you. However, Linux in not an OS you can learn overnight.

Originally posted by theuedimaster
    No... not if the server admin has half a brain and keeps up with his updates and keeps and eye on his system. I mean if you just have the server setup right you do not have to worry about roaming worms and other day to day crap, I have been using windows server from the start and have never had an issue.

My new box will be running a *licensed* copy of w2k server. Yes some of my software is legit! (this is legit, that is why I am installing it instead of my not as legal copy of 2k3).
    Last edited by PeOfEo; 01-30-2005 at 12:53 AM.

Originally posted by PeOfEo
    No... not if the server admin has half a brain and keeps up with his updates and keeps and eye on his system. I mean if you just have the server setup right you do not have to worry about roaming worms and other day to day crap, I have been using windows server from the start and have never had an issue.
    I have to agree with that too. I'm a sysAdmin and the server I watch over is running SBS2K3; I've kept up with the updates (checking daily) and have yet to have a problem. Of'course, I still have to agree that Linux is the most secure when it comes to it's invulnerability to attack; so long as the user isn't logged in as root. Again, however, Linux is not an OS that one can learn overnight.

linux is no more secure than windows. security is determined by competent administrators. i've administered both and never been hacked, nor had a virus on my network(s).

anyway, if u plan to run php, upgrade to php 5.0

also, use a good firewall

Thread Information