www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Windows Home Server

Windows Home Server

Hello,

I'm thinking about putting some pieces together to set up a small home server which I can use first as router (have 2 pc's at home) and second as way to store a small blog maybe as well as in development projects, so I could show the project to the client before having a final hosting set up.
    I wouldn't need a static IP, a dynamic hostname does the job.

I have no experience in setting up servers.. only maintaining personal workstations. Antivirus and windows updates always to date and I keep it working.

Also, I want it to be a windows machine because I have no time to learn everything about linux right now.. I just want it to be functional and practical to set up. And mainly, I need IIS because I work essentially with ASP.

What version of windows would be the most recommended? What kind of concerns should I have besides having a firewall and an antivirus to protect myself from hackers and viruses/worms? What firewall and antivirus do you recommend?

I know many of you will say that with windows there's nothing I could do, but hey, if you're a linux-only-guy just don't reply!

A hardwear firewall works best but ZoneAlarm is not to shaby
    and got anti virus AVG Anti Virus

For IIS.. XP PRO would do the job.. or you can get Windows server 2003

FYI: XP HOME Does not have IIS

I am using w2k which is a stripped down version of windows 2000 basically. But it is the same vers off iis as xp pro but it is the good copy. The reason it would not be good to use xp pro is because it's iis is dumbed down with a 10 user cap. It limits connections and there is no way around it. I suggest a server vers of windows like w2k3 or w2k. I have a legit copy of w2k and that is why I use it instead of 2k3. Keep in mind that running a dedicated server on your home line could be in violation of your ISP's tos. But you isp will not notice is you are not using too much bwidth,

Hm ok, I see, so any decent firewall software will keep the most curious away at least, right? That's nice. As for the OS, didn't know about that limitation on XP's IIS! That's really stupid, I'll probably get server 2003 then. Already have AVG antivirus. I use norton though, is there any big difference for a server?
    As for ISP limits, they can't do nothing if I have a server.. but they do charge an extra if I go beyond 1GB of monthly international traffic, and 20GB for national. Don't know about other countries, but all ISPs here in Portugal have this stupid way of working..!

You should use AVG it makes your server run faster.

Thread Information