www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: audio?

audio?

theres no audio section here so i thought id put this here. oh..hi by the way im new here and i just need a little help. i have a website and im looking to put some streaming audio onto my site. can anyone tell me where i can go to get some help with this? i know that netscape presents a problem here. if it was all ie i would just load the mp3s with onload but i know that doesnt work with netscape. i need help and if you could tell me where to go to get it id really think you were the bomb. i love this website stuff.. its really fun and id like to add some music to my site. so please help me if you can and id really be happy if you could. thank you. --paradox.

Re: audio?

Originally posted by paradox
    i have a website and im looking to put some streaming audio onto my site. can anyone tell me where i can go to get some help with this? i know that netscape presents a problem here. thank you. --paradox.
    Your code for IE was:
    <bgsound src="#" id=music loop=1 autostart="true">
    You can use EMBED SRC=" for NS: Use both on the page. The Browser will pick the one it underatands. If both want to load, reverse their places on the page.

Are you sure you want streaming because in affect you can stream MP3 by using M3U shortcuts or were you after autoplay background music.
    Last edited by Robert Wellock; 03-11-2003 at 02:31 PM.

Originally posted by Robert Wellock
    Are you sure you want streaming because in affect you can stream MP3 by using MPU shortcuts or were you after autoplay background music.
    yes thats what i want to do. so where can i go to find out about MPU shortcuts? and how to use them or how they work.

It's a fairly simple process you create a text file with a link to the actual *.mp3 file and save the plaintext file with the *.m3u extension.

For example within the *.m3u file you would have:

Code:
    http://www.yoursite.com/mysong.mp3
    Within your actual webpage you use the standard hyperlink to point to the *.m3u you just created for example:

<a href="somefile.m3u">Click Me</a> this is not true streaming but should trigger a helper application and begin playing the *.mp3 from the instructions given in the *.m3u.

Originally posted by Robert Wellock

Code:
    one more stupid question. the *.mp3 page would still have to contain this:

Your code for IE was:
    <bgsound src="#" id=music loop=1 autostart="true">
    You can use EMBED SRC=" for NS: Use both on the page. The Browser will pick the one it underatands. If both want to load, reverse their places on the page.

the *.mp3 page would still have to be created using this method correct? then use the *.m3u in a hyperlink to call that page? im still a little confused. but thanks for your help.

I cannot tell you the answer to that because the proxies on this workstation prohibit certain letter sequences appearing within the browser address bar and automatically "kill the browser" it was a security measure because of people installing peer-to-peer networks and searching for *.mp3, etc.

I originally assumed you wanted a hyperlink to be clicked so the user could run an *.mp3 without having to download the file, not that you wanted to embed a music file within the page, and have it automatically play, I have only done that with QuickTime movies and wave files before.

The best I can suggest is to try it out and see if it works since I cannot myself.

Question

This is taking me forever to figure out.....audio clips uploaded into microsoft frontpage 2000.

MFP imports video clips, but audio...I've been working on that for more than a year and I've been doing something wrong, that's for sure!

Problem: I recorded a music file, .mp3 off of Winamp. It's off of my daughter's CD and we have copyrights on it. I imported the file
    ie : C:/MyDocuments/name-track01.mp3

into the web folder and used the <a href="somefile.m3u">Click Me</a> .

It came up..."Click me" and I can hear it because I have it on file and so when I click on "click me", Winamp comes up and plays it great!
    But, I tried it on another computer and AOL Media Player ("powered by Winamp") comes up and the .mp3 file sounds awful.

I've never understood the

How do you do that and what script should I use? I would like to have the audio clip play, possible loop, when the page opens.

Thank you so much for your help!

front page

ive got front page 2002 and why dont they have some kind of streaming audio object to insert audio files into? dont you think they should? this audio thing is really a headache and bill gates sucks for not making it easy to do.

Smile

bill gates sucks for not making it easy to do

SOMEBODY shoulda put an audio upload or import in MFP 2000, as much as it's used by people, you would think so.

I found this one site:

http://www.guitargirls.com/realaudiotutorial.htm

And it's pretty helpful as far as encoding goes, but then the realnetworks download didn't help me at all. I got the audio ripped and saved as a .wav w/o jitter errors, but the file is still HUGE. It shoulda compressed when I switched it from an mp3 to wav, but somehow it didn't.

Try the site, though, it may help you.

I found a way to make it work, but i'm not sure if it works for anyone else. can someone please check out this page and tell me if it works for you? It takes about five minutes to download because the files are like 3 megs, but they play ok for me. when I tried it on another computer I got an connection error message. so can someone test it for me please. go here:

http://www.already-dead.com/music.htm

thanks for the help

Yeah, it downloads okay, but on AOL Media Player (Winamp) it plays with the "jitters".

Maybe you can edit the audio file and compress it so that it won't get the jitter error.

And, when you do.....please lemme know how you did it.

Good Luck!

ok first of all i didnt use an m3u file. i just uploaded the mp3s to my server and linked directly to the mp3 files. No m3u middle file. just right to the mp3s. As for the jitters? I used cdex to rip my cd tracks into mp3s. that may be part of that. im yet to try it with a prof made mp3.

this still hasnt solved my streaming problem. I've tried the M3U file thing and I keep getting error messages from media player. And for that matter I dont know how it all would work on other platforms.

This is a primative method that im sure wont work with very many browsers or media players. but at least i got it to work with windows MP.

so really my problem continues... how would this work with netscape? or with real player or other MPs? thats a lot of testing.

im still searching for a way to stream it... rather then have the user download the whole thing before play begins. I think you are onto something with the m3u files but i just cant get them to work.

please keep digging... maybe if we both keep at it one of us will figure it out.

thanks for your help... i really appreciate it!!!

If you just wanna stream......there are some good music sites that let you do that without having to go to their site and playing it from there.

My prob is that my daughter did a CD demo and I wanna rip that and encode it then upload it to the site which is made by MFP 2000 and that's been a pain in the butt for a long time. So, yeah....keep trying and I will, too and we'll see what we can get.

If anybody knows the answer, plz tell us!

Thread Information