www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: SQL Database systems

SQL Database systems

Can anyone help me? i am looking for a reliable and fast SQL database sever. i have heard many people recommending MySQL but have heard some people say it is very slow. if anyon has any thoughts on this it would be a great help

thanks
    most things can be solved by thought and contemplation. those that can't can be solved by a big nuclear weapon

well...what do u need it for..?

Well, I think it's performance-to-price ratio is unbeatable.

Seriously, though, I've not seen any serious performance problems with most uses of MySQL. But if you're looking at an industrial-strength application where you may have hundreds of tables, some with tens of thousands of rows, and hundreds of concurrent users; well, maybe you should be looking at Oracle or such (and be prepared to open up the purse strings to buy the software and the hardware on which to install it, hire DB consultants to optimize it for your needs, etc.)

If you're talking tens of tables and thousands of rows and tens of concurrent users for a non-life-critical application and without deep pockets for funding, then MySQL can probably work just fine.

Whatever you do, don't use MS Access.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

but MySQL is definetly the best free db!

I would agree, MySQL is the out there. If you have a large budget, go for Oracle, which provides better support and more user-friendly development (data modelling, design, etc) tools.

MS SQL Server is the best choice if your working with Microsoft technologies.

Regards.

thanks

thanks everyone for your input i will definatly get MySQL up and running then
    most things can be solved by thought and contemplation. those that can't can be solved by a big nuclear weapon

Thread Information