www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How do you buy a domain name outright? (not hire one)

How do you buy a domain name outright? (not hire one)

I'm a bit confuseed, is it possible to buy domain names or are they all only rented out now?

On all the major top-level domains, you have to "rent" a domain (register it for a fixed time period) rather than buy it outright, though I cannot exclude the possibility that some minor ccTLD might allow you to buy a domain. Network Solutions offer a 100 year registration deal, but I'm not that it is a good idea.

Adam
    "If youíre not using valid HTML, then you havenít created a Web page. You may have created something else, but it isnít a Web page." - Joe Clark

Do something amazing (USA) | Make Poverty History

whats a ccTLD and what kinda size would you class as a minor ccTLD?

thanks for the advice

A ccTLD is a country-code top level domain, such as domains ending in .uk, .us or .au. By a minor ccTLD, I mean one which is used rarely (such as those from countries with low Internet penetration rates), for example .mo. The reason I mention it is some ccTLDs operate unusual registration policies (for example, .tk domains are available free of charge). For most sites you would want either a "normal" top level domain or the ccTLD of the country you are in.

Adam
    "If youíre not using valid HTML, then you havenít created a Web page. You may have created something else, but it isnít a Web page." - Joe Clark

Do something amazing (USA) | Make Poverty History

Thread Information