www.webdeveloper.com

View Poll Results: Dreamweaver or GoLive?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dreamweaver

11 91.67%
  • GoLive

1 8.33%

Thread: Dreamweaver or GoLive?

Dreamweaver or GoLive?

I would like to know what you guys think is better. I have tested them out and I like them both a lot.

If it makes any difference, I will be getting Photoshop and Illustrator as well.

How come there's not a 'neither' option in the poll?
    They both put out bad code.
    Nothing beats hand coding as far as I'm concerned.

I forgot to add it and I cannot edit it now...

Originally posted by rsd
    Nothing beats hand coding as far as I'm concerned.
    I hand code - in Dreamweaver.

The reason I use Dreamwever is it has excellent support for PHP. I've not found a PHP editor that I like better...

It applies to any reason you like that program better..

GoLive supports PHP in the same way that Dreamweaver does, with different colors, though.

I used to be all about hand coding, and always thought something like dreamweaver was a waste..however after you actually try dreamweaver their is no way to stop using it. It makes everything so much easier and so much less time consuming. I wouldn't recommend jumping into dreamweaver without a lot of hand coding experience though, because if you don't understand the hand coding aspect it can be a pain. Some times the only way to get things the way you really want them is to go in and hand code them.

As far as GoLive, I've never used it...

So far, all I CAN do is hand code, as I don't have either of these programs...ok...that's a lie...I have trial versions...:P

But I don't have the ability to continue using them after the trials run out.

I hand code - in Dreamweaver.
    Same here. Dreamweaver is awesome since it has most of the necessities needed to get your site up and running. In the past you would have 10 notepad pages on the your toolbar and then a FTP program, Reference guide in case you run into complications and what ever else.

It helps you be more efficient. The only way you can convert your concept into reality is by hardcoding and understanding the principles. It is too funny on how much you can still learn especially with the different supporting browsers on the net. IE keeps on ticking me off.

Hope IE7 (summer) has more sense packed into it.

GoLive is so hard to jump into after being with others. I wondering how it would be if I started out with GoLive....

Dreamweaver it is!

:P

Well...I wanted to vote for both, however, I use Dreamweaver mostly. But there are times I use Golive. I think the one feature that Golive beats Dreamweaver 'no contest' is site management...in fact, if I remember from a couple years ago and before, Golive has always won for their overall site management.

I've heard webmasters also mention they prefer Golive when it comes to working with quicktime movies, as well, if you intend to work or edit images on the fly with Photoshop or Illustrator, that the CS version integrates well.

I would think Golive is best suited if site management organization (site heirarchy, huge numbers of image and page files...etc) is a necessity.

Dreamweaver on the other-hand, is a lot easier to use and does integrate well with those who also work in Flash and perhaps Fireworks. Awesome Layout for it's workspace.

For anyone wanting to decide on which one to use...it comes down to what kind of websites you plan on building mostly; is extensive site management and organization important; do you work more with quicktime, or flash; are you an Adobe supporter, or a Macromedia supporter...Take that and plan it out, but also consider using both for a 30-day trial and see which one you like best for your comfort zone and workspace.

Just my thoughts anyways because both have pro's and con's

I ended up getting Adobe CS.

Just thought I'd mention a minor bug in GoLive. When trying to edit a table in the "Layout" mode, when you click on a cell, sometimes it selects a cell two rows above the cell you want to edit.

However, I find that GoLive is much better for PHP script creation. It highlights the opening {,(, or [ when you type the one that closes that bracket or parenthesis, and it makes a "ding" noise if you type one more than you have opening brackets or parentheses.

I definately love Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign. They all kick some major Fireworks and Paint Shop Pro butt!

Thread Information