www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: ASP & Lotus Notes

ASP & Lotus Notes

Hi,

I know nothing about Lotus Notes. Right now my company has a few pages for our site created using .nsf ... notes/domino database.. see I have no idea. Anyway, I'd like to know what is can be compared to..? Has anyone used it?

I'd like access a notes database from an ASP page and test it, if anyone could help me that would be great.

Thanks,

Geekazoid

Also: If anyone would like to list reasons why Lotus Notes for creating websites sucks, please feel free.

if you use lotus notes, then you can only host on a domino server... that's the only downfall with lotus notes (not sure if asp is supported on a domino server), otherwise i'd say it's cool, easy to use if you're not a web guru (using notes wizards). It works alot with javascript and java.

But I'd rather stick with something I know inside-out, asp!

That was just my 2 cents...

Hi Slyfox,

You said Notes Wizards are easy to use for people that aren't web gurus? So is Notes Wizards kind of like FrontPage or something...? I just don't know why we're using it at work. I was hired for ASP & SQL, it's strange.

Can't you use asp to get domino databases like this:
    Set vSession = CreateObject("Lotus.NotesSession")

Call vSession.Initialize

Set vDB = vSession.GetDatabase("", "names.nsf")

I'm lost.

here's one way (linked server) http://www.databasejournal.com/featu...le.php/3462011

but I usually recommend staying away from linked servers. DTS is usually a better option. Install the NotesSQL ODBC driver on the MSSQL server, and set up a DTS package to import the data.

Additionally, you could install the ODBC driver on your web server and query the Domino database directly.

Thread Information