dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: About permissions

About permissions

Is there a way to give acces to a document in my website ONLY by a link in the same website?

I give an example.

I have a document named "document.pdf" in a folder named "archive". I want it to be read or downloaded only by clicking a link in my website with the href "archive/document.pdf", but I don't want anybody to read the document typing in the URL bar "www.website.com/archive/document.pdf". Is it possible to do this way? Has it something to do with the R-W-X permissions? Heeeeelp!

You can only do that by interposing a server side process like CGI or a language like PHP.

If one is using the Apache server, wouldn't one be able to accomplish something like this via .htaccess?

I have PHP available

My server supports php. I'm not able to change the options (to activate global variables, etc.), but I can upload PHP scripts to be executed.

I think the .htaccess is right, if you can do that. They may let you do it if you ask, or do it for you?

Yes, htaccess is another route, requiring an id/password to get to the document.

As you don't have access to you .htaccess file, I think you're best bet might be PHP Sesions.

Is it really sessions or password protection he's looking for? From what you describe, I'd think you'd want to check the HTTP Referer. Are you sure you can't use .htaccess? The best thing to do is to create a file named '.htaccess' and see if it works.

Thread Information