www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Switching Boxes with Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse

Switching Boxes with Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse

Now I was just wondering if this is possible. I"m thinking I might buy a new computer soon, sink the dough into it and make myself a real nice one. On my old clunking dell, though, I'm contemplating wiping it and installing Linux and running it as a server (I won't be hosting my website on it or any such, just as a full out test server). Space is somewhat of a constraint though, I haven't really the room for two boxes, monitors, keyboards, and mouses. I was wondering, is there any such device that would allow me to use one monitor/keyboard/mouse and merely switch between the two computers. That way I can use my new devices to access the old Dell and my spiffy new computer. I'm thinking that something like this would be possible, but then again who knows? Any suggestions?

Well you could do what I do. I just use vnc to control my server. I have one moniter and I have a keyboard and mouse plugged into the server but kind of stored. But there are devices that allow you to switch hardware from one machine to another. Someone here uses one... I thought it was either lavalamp or jona.

well I use a KVM - Keyboard, Video, Monitor Switch.
    Two towers, one screen, one keyboard, one mouse, press button to switch between?
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...%2FCASeries%2F
    There are loads of different ones out there.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...log=143&DEPA=1
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

Thank you Dave! That's exactly what I was looking for!

No problem
    They are v. useful.
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

Thread Information