dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Could this be AAA? and Is overlapping text OK?

Hybrid View

Could this be AAA? and Is overlapping text OK?

The Bobby check seems to like my page and even thinks that it might be up to AAA accessability, and I'd like to say that it is, but if you look at the contents of the page: being wrong could be very embarrasing.

As far as I can tell, it is about as accessable as it could be but I'm not sure, is overlapping text o.k. as it will read fine without the style sheet?

If anyone can spot something inaccesable with the page, plese tell me.
    Thanks.

http://padlock.flinkers.net/experiments/nodivs.htm
    Last edited by the tree; 02-22-2005 at 11:46 AM.

font-family: serrif; doesn't exsist. Accesable should be spelt Accessible for starters.

Originally posted by Robert Wellock
    font-family: serrif; doesn't exsist. Accesable should be spelt Accessible for starters.
    Thanks, I've never been great at spelling

Why are you dyslexic some of the best of us are.

CSS is an <abbr> so use UPPERCASE for all occrances of CSS does <span class="titleline"> have any meaning is it a subheading, quote or defining something it could be more than a span.

It's your hyperlinks which are mainly letting the page down by not being of high enough contrast for AAA.
    Last edited by Robert Wellock; 02-22-2005 at 12:39 PM.

Why are you dyslexic some of the best of us are.
    Yeh I am.
    CSS is an <abbr> so use UPPERCASE for all occrances of CSS
    Fair enough, I should have thought of that. Does it matter if I style them back to lower case though? Just 'cos I think it looks good.
    does <span class="titleline"> have any meaning is it a subheading, quote or defining something it could be more than a span.
    Well it's not a subheading, it's not a quote and it's not defining anything so I figured span would do.
    It's your hyperlinks which are mainly letting the page down by not being of high enough contrast for AAA.
    O.k. I'll up their contrast, maybe I'll use a solid background or something.

Thanks for all your help.
    Last edited by the tree; 02-22-2005 at 12:58 PM.

It's close but it can't be with spelling errors as it must be published to formal gammers. Nice job, though it's sort of on the simple side so you didn't pose many challenges to yourself.

I don't think the overlapping text is an issue as you back it up.

Mike

CSS is an <abbr> so use UPPERCASE for all ...
    Actually, CSS is an <acronym>. And I'm sure you already knew that. Just had a brain fart like I've had many times today... and it's only 11 a.m.

Tree, I'm curious, but why don't you fix the listed problems? You have it as a link in your sig no less, yet it still has the same issues. You talk about a concern of avoiding embarrassment, yet you haven't tried very hard to avoid it. There is no excuse for spelling errors, not with dictionaries being available, plus having people offering help by point these things out on top of it. Seems a shame.

Not trying to pick, but it seems you lack concern for your own work here, thus, it makes me wonder why'd you'd ask and not take action.

Mike

CSS is an abbreviation <abbr> for a good reason and you'd realise why if you used a Screen Reader like JAWS or tried reading C-S-S as a word.

Acronyms are words formed from the initial letter or letters of several other words, which is itself pronounced as a word. Obviously initialisms will slip past and XML is not an acronym for the same reason as we all know XML starts with the letter "e" but uses X as the first in the abbreviated form.
    Last edited by Robert Wellock; 03-17-2005 at 07:15 AM.

Robert's right actually. Even though my own thinking on this has been muddled up until this very moment.

An acronym is a word. An example of an acronym would be Radar. The word/acronym Radar means: Radio detecting and ranging.

Mike

Originally posted by toicontien
    I stand corrected. I looked it up on dictionary.com and didn't realize abbreviations could include a series of letters that didn't make up a word.
    That's what I ended up doing too. My dictionary was hard-bound, but I just had to. I needed final resolution.

Mike

Thread Information