www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Debugger for javascript??

Question Debugger for javascript??

Does anyone know of a debugger and where I can get it for JavaScript?
    HotRod

There's one in the WebDev toolbar for Firefox.

I believe it's part of the Mozilla install rather than the extension. Pick the Custom install in Firefox and add the developer tools.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

That's just the console; a real debugger is Venkman's
    or for Internet Explorer
    Last edited by Fang; 02-23-2005 at 01:32 AM.
    At least 98% of internet users' DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees

Thumbs up Debugger for javascript??

Thanks for the information. I'll try and find the Firefox and Mozilla that you've mentioned. I'm curious about them both, since I'm really not familiar with either of them, but have heard a whole lot about them. Could you tell me where's the best place to check them out?
    Also, what is Opera? I've heard and read a lot about that as well in the Forums.

The information on Internet Explorer and Venkman's was helpful as well, thank you very much, they will come in handy.
    I'm wanting to learn how to create Javascript and debug it.

I am a REAL Beginner at this.
    My main problem at this time is that I've gotten a cascading menu from this site and can not get it to locate properly where I need it to be on my home page and still have the Submenus work properly (they end up evrywhere but where they originally should be), when I move the main menu bar.
    So it's obvious that I'm not moving the bar correctly, and need to learn a whole lot more about this, it's not as easy as I thought it would be.
    The site said you can download this and use it, but never said it wasn't movable, so now when I do move it, it won't stay together as it was when I checked it out, before I downloaded it. I'm doing something wrong, but can't understand what I've done wrong in trying to use it on my home page that I've created using WebStudio 4.0.
    Thanks again for all the information.
    Wish me luck, It seems that I'm going to need it.
    HotRod

Thumbs up

Thank you BONROUGE !!!! I'll be checking firefox out. Is it all that the site says it is? Do you use it yourself?
    HotRod

Originally posted by Hotrodderbob
    Thank you BONROUGE !!!! I'll be checking firefox out. Is it all that the site says it is? Do you use it yourself?
    Absolutely. When you start using Firefox and then go back and use IE, IE seems like a kid's toy or something. Not only that though - if you want to develop to standards, you need Firefox or Netscape to check how your site looks because IE is actually kind of crap and does a lot of stuff wrong.

Originally posted by Fang
    That's just the console; a real debugger is Venkman's
    or for Internet Explorer
    True enough. Thanks for gettin my back once again.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

Thread Information