www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Very Slow Start Up Problem

Very Slow Start Up Problem

Hi there I've got Windows XP with SP2 installed which has been fine for a while now.
    The trouble is that now when I start my computer it takes around 4 minutes to boot up whereas it only took 30/45 seconds before.

When I switch my machine on the initial page comes up - mainprocessor: Intel Pentium(R) 4 2.66GHz and then at the bottom of the page it says: Press F1 or DEL to enter setup.
    It stays on this page then for about a minute and a half with no noise from the hard disk or anything. Each subsequent stage takes a similar amount of time to load until it gets to the desktop and from there on it works fine.

Previous to this happening I was saving a movie file in Windows Movie Maker and I also happened to notice that Windows Update was uploading/installing something.

Since then I have restored my computer by 1 then 4 days which hasnt changed the situation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

the fact it freezes on the initial startup screen before it gets to windows suggests some hardware failure may be about to come your way.

How old is the system? If you download everest from one of the stickies in this forum you can use the SMART analysing system to check your hard drive isn't about to die on you.
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

Originally posted by DaveSW
    the fact it freezes on the initial startup screen before it gets to windows suggests some hardware failure may be about to come your way.

How old is the system? If you download everest from one of the stickies in this forum you can use the SMART analysing system to check your hard drive isn't about to die on you.
    I agree with dave. Also, if you have some ghoste drive software available (norton ghoste), I suggest making some backups.

I've got a Maxtor backup drive and this was the first thing I did.

I downloaded Everest like you said and it says - SMART Hard Disks Status OK. So that seems fine.

One thing that I did notice is that it says

Power Management

Power Management Properties:

Current Power Source: AC Line
    Battery Status: No Battery
    Full Battery Lifetime: Unknown
    Remaining Battery Lifetime: Unknown

I assume this is the CMOS battery but if that werent working then I would get a weird start up wouldnt I? It all works fine once its loaded .

Ok so before someone else says it - I seem to have answered my question in the last post.

But if the CMOS battery werent working then I wouldnt have thought that it would boot up at all.

generally that section is for laptops.

ok next up memtest - google it and you should find it. That will see if your memory is failing (in the computer that is!)
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

Originally posted by DaveSW
    generally that section is for laptops.

ok next up memtest - google it and you should find it. That will see if your memory is failing (in the computer that is!)
    If it is the memory you are going to notice a large lag for everything. The hard drive might store data, but could fail to boot. I forgot the term for the part of the hard drive you need to have workign to boot from it....

Found memTest v3.2 downloaded it and ran it...

After two and a quarter hours it still hadnt finnished testing but I needed to do something on my computer so I had to stop it. There was a counter that had the title "Pass" which showed a value of 15 just before I stopped it. I wasnt sure what value it needed to go up to. The "Error" title showed up as 0. Which I assume is good.

I've just tried the memTest on my computer downstairs (P3 450MHz 512Mb RAM) and after an hour it is still testing but the same counter is up into the millions.

So does that mean my memory is slow then?

Everything works fine when the computer has booted up at normal speed.

It really sounds like ou're heading for a hardware failure, but identifying what exactly is the problem is going to be more difficult. You could take it to your local pc store and ask them to look at it. Other than that you could obtain a 'post code' reader - generally pretty cheap on ebay, and see at what part of the post sequence it starts to slow. That might give you some indication.

If you want to post a hijackthis log I'd be happy to chek your system for viruses or other nasties. (see forum stickies for a download location)

Hi Dave here's the log file that I created from HijackThis (below). Thanks for taking a look.

If I were heading for a hardware failure I assume we are talking about the hard disk?

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 11:01:53, on 27/02/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\eEBSVC.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\retrorun.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Tablet.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Dit.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S10IC2.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\DitExp.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Maxtor\OneTouch\Utils\OneTouch.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DSP24Set.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\MXOALDR.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE
    C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\My Downloads\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.medion.co.uk
    N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://www.google.co.uk"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\2ewv3wwz.slt\prefs.js)
    N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5CNetscape%5CNetscape%5Csearchplugins%5CNetscape_UK.src"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\2ewv3wwz.slt\prefs.js)
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\windows\downloaded program files\googletoolbar2.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\windows\downloaded program files\googletoolbar2.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dit] Dit.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AudioDSP24 External Links] EL.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX3200] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S10IC2.EXE /P19 "EPSON Stylus CX3200" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus CX3200"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliType] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MaxtorOneTouch] C:\PROGRA~1\Maxtor\OneTouch\Utils\OneTouch.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MXO Auto Loader] C:\WINDOWS\MXOALDR.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE"
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\windows\downloaded program files\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\windows\downloaded program files\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\windows\downloaded program files\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\windows\downloaded program files\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\windows\downloaded program files\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
    O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\INETREPL.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\INETREPL.DLL
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\INETREPL.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Medion-UK - {725E17C7-2B9A-42BA-AAE2-754FA08120BD} - http://www.medion.co.uk (file missing) (HKCU)
    O12 - Plugin for .bcf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPBelv32.dll
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.medion.co.uk
    O16 - DPF: {6CB5E471-C305-11D3-99A8-000086395495} - http://toolbar.google.com/data/en/bi.../GoogleNav.cab
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: EpsonBidirectionalService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\eEBSVC.exe
    O23 - Service: EPSON Printer Status Agent2 (EPSONStatusAgent2) - SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: Retrospect Launcher (RetroLauncher) - Dantz Development Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\retrorun.exe
    O23 - Service: TabletService - Wacom Technology, Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Tablet.exe
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

The log looks clean.

By hardware it could be anything from power supply to motherboard, harddrive to an add-in card...

One other thing actually. My hard drive is 120Gb with 3 partitions two 55Gb and one 10. The C drive (55Gb) is very full it only has 6 Gb of space left. The others (55 and 10) are free. I have heard that a full hard disk can slow your hard disk down but again when my system is up and running it is fine.

I will try moving some stuff from one partition to the other to free up some space to see if that does any good.

Other than that I have started backing up all my data. Which is a good idea regardless anyway. Then all I can do is live with it and wait to see if it either rights itself or just stops working one day I guess.

I see this post when I am researching a problem where Microsoft IntelliType Pro (type32.exe) conflicts with tablet. This is kindof late, but hopefuly it helps.

Try to remove either of the following programs/drivers from the above list.

1. O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliType] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe"

2. O23 - Service: TabletService - Wacom Technology, Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Tablet.exe

It was reported by more than a user that once they installed a tablet, IntelliType ceases to function at bootup time or generates error messages.

Thread Information