www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Are my pages accessible?

Are my pages accessible?

Hi all! If anyone gets a minute please could you have a look at my pages and rate them for accessiblity. A logo is going to be added at the top but this will be in CSS only as a background image. Also are these pages A, AA or AAA according to W3C accessibility directives?

I would look at your pages if I knew were they were...
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

Your pages are A at best and some would augue that it doesn't even reach that, but most things here can be easily fixed.

Sorry that this list is a bit long, I hope it helps.
    • The links in your body text aren't great contrast.
    • The 'our agency' menu could be hard to read for some.
    • Your address should be markup up as an <address>
    • Where it says 'English', it could say 'change to English'
    • Use xml:lang to state that that item is a different language.
    • Try to put in some meaningful title attributes to your links.
    • Accesskeys are good but not essential.
    • Give alt tags to the validation badges.
    • I'm not sure what your javascript is doing but the Bobby Check doesn't like it.
    • You're meant to have a site map made easily avaliable.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

Thanks for your advice

Regarding the links: Main text is #000 and background is #fff. Links are #808080 which is halfway between. w3c recomends at least 128 contrast. #808080 is exactly 128 darker than the background and 128 lighter than the text. If I made it darker or lighter it wouldn't comply with the 128 requierement in one direction or the other.

Just because the numbers say that it's right doesn't mean it is, try looking at it and deciding if it's distingished enough from the text.
    I'd sugest #fd6700 for the links.

<edit>You also might want to cut down on all those line breaks</edit>

Back again

Added the language attribute.
    I dont know what you mean by this"Give alt tags to the validation badges". I can see the in the source and with Lynx.
    Why must an address go in an address tag? These just makes it italic!
    Why do the links need to use the title attribute at all?
    The Javascript is just so the menu works in IE as that browser does not have proper hover support but anyway if you turn it off you can still get to all the pages.
    Bobby is a machine programmed to reject any javascript, nevertheless I would not have needed to use it if IE worked according to w3c recommendations.
    Do I need a site map when every page can be accessed by any other page on the site? It's not as if you could get lost.

Re: Back again

Originally posted by bokeh
    I dont know what you mean by this"Give alt tags to the validation badges". I can see the in the source and with Lynx.
    Oops, my mistake.
    Why must an address go in an address tag? These just makes it italic!
    Just to be sematic, and some people might have programs to seek addresses in pages or something. It'll look how you style it.
    Why do the links need to use the title attribute at all?
    My understanding is that a lot of screen readers will list all of the links on a page so out of context some links wont mkae sense, this is what the title attribute solves.
    The Javascript is just so the menu works in IE as that browser does not have proper hover support but anyway if you turn it off you can still get to all the pages... I would not have needed to use it if IE worked according to w3c recommendations.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that.
    Bobby is a machine programmed to reject any javascript,
    That is definately not true.
    Do I need a site map when every page can be accessed by any other page on the site? It's not as if you could get lost.
    WAI says so

WAI says so
    Is there an example of one of these you could direct me to?

The address tag must very useful for web spiders harvesting info from websites.

My understanding is that a lot of screen readers will list all of the links on a page so out of context some links wont mkae sense, this is what the title attribute solves.
    That is certainly the case with Opera but I am not sure what the point is. Maybe something beyond PC use.

Regarding the link texts I did try to make the as descriptive as possible but maybe that just isn't enough.

Is there an example of one of these you could direct me to?
    Take a look at: http://infinitywebdesign.com/siteinfo/

What address tag I have heard of the <address> element and spambots don't care enough for the address element they are interested in the @ and mailto.

Thread Information