www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Autodect Flash Player

Autodect Flash Player

Hi Everyone,

I am about to start work on a project, and was seeking some advice.

The project includes a website presented in CD format, and is to include automatic detection of Flash on the users computer - following is a direct quote from the project owner:

"The CD will need to be programmed to detect Flash and load Player from the CD if the host computer does not have it."

Not too sure how to approach this feature.

I have a number of examples of using Flash or JavaScript to detect the Flash plugin on a users browser, and direct the user to an appropriate website (flash or non-flash).

Could this automatic detection and loading of the Flash player be approached the same way?

If so, can anyone offer advice or examples on how to code this feature to force the website to use the Flash player which will (apparently) be included on the CD?

How would you approach this feature?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Trace

Hello, I didn't quite understand the question, but I'll attempt to answer it anyway.

If, flash is installed, and you want to check the version, refer to the global variable "$version". It returns the Operating System and version of Flash.

Now, re-reading your post, that doesn't look like what you're looking for, so here's this.

When Flash publishes a HTML page for a flashmovie, it's code looks like this:
    Code:
    <OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0"
     WIDTH=400 HEIGHT=250>
     <PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="autorun.swf"> <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high> <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#FFFFFF> <EMBED src="autorun.swf" quality=high bgcolor=#FFFFFF  WIDTH=400 HEIGHT=250 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></EMBED>
    </OBJECT>
    Which I guess would be the propper syntax, it being their design and all.

Now, this code contains two links which are used if Flash is not installed on the computer, so you can manipulate those to do your dirty work.

Try changing the URLS to point to:
    file://d:/path to flash install

I'm sorry if you didn't want it to install flash, but that's probably the easiest way.

Thread Information