www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Dreamweaver mm_menu.js Z-index Problem

Question Dreamweaver mm_menu.js Z-index Problem

You can view the code here:

http://www.automationtraining.ca/new/mm_menu.js

The problem I'm having, and have had with the script before is getting it to appear above form elements or flash in IE. I know you can make flash transparents and get around it, but this time its form elements that need to stay where they are. This is such an easy menu to use, I just wish it didn't have this one problem.

It works fine in firefox, so I didn't even notice because that is what I usually use.

I tried changing the z-index:1 to z-index:99 but it didn't work.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks

I am having the EXACT same problem so if there is anyone out there that can help - it would be very much apreciated.

your link goes nowhere.

can you supply a valid one?

thanks.
    Design first! Code later!

me too

I am having the same problem and would love a fix for this!!

-- Azrael

You might take me as rude, but my only advice is NOT to use the Myckey Mouse (MM Dreamweaver) javascript coding facilities. They are clumsy, redundant, and almost impossible to follow.debug. Try to learn javascript and build your own menus.

agree

Quote Originally Posted by Kor
    You might take me as rude, but my only advice is NOT to use the Myckey Mouse (MM Dreamweaver) javascript coding facilities. They are clumsy, redundant, and almost impossible to follow.debug. Try to learn javascript and build your own menus.

Oh I agree... but this is code I have inherited

i am awfully sorry for that

Ok, now, the code could be correct. It is not this your main problem. It is a problem of design. Always, the form's elments will overcover whichever other elements you might have in the page (for instance, a collapsed javascript menu, or even the background). z-Index will be of no help on this.

Same with Flash, if it's layout is not transparent. But if it is transparent, the problem will be backwards, you will be not be able to touch the form's element through the Flash's transparency . There might be some very intricate ways to solve those problems (but not always crossbrowser) so my advice is to modify the layout of the site, so that the expanded menu should not cover the form's elements.
    Last edited by Kor; 08-09-2006 at 04:20 PM.

Thread Information