www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Novel ways to speed up Windows

Novel ways to speed up Windows

When someone asks how to speed up their computer, the usual reply is to get rid of spyware and clean out the startup programs. But are there other ways to increases the performance of your computer besides buying a new one?

Recently, I found that deleting email messages in Outlook Express can greatly improve computer performance. I permanently deleted around 1200+ unneeded emails. After that my computer ran faster with fewer crashes or glitches. In fact, a seemingly unrelated issue cleared up immediately afterwards and has not returned. I was amazed!

My experience has led me to believe that there may well be many such ways to speed up the OS.

Have you found a novel way to speed up your computer? If so, why not take a minute and tell the rest of us out there about your great break-through!
    I'll never forget the first ticket I ever got--$30 fine for passing on the wrong side of a subway train.

Steven Nichols

Well I've found that removing old files is a good way to speed things up; Not to mention the space you gain on the drive. Most people think that it's good enough to simply Add/Remove programs from the control panel when in reality it's not. Most programs leave configuration or log files behind so if you were to install the program again the new install could pick up on it. Usually when you un-install a program you don't intend on reinstalling it. Unless of course the program is ancient and you have to un-install it before you can upgrade. So usually it's ok to remove these files manually. It also helps if you run some kind of registry cleaner. Usually registry cleaners can pick up on old registry keys that were associated with programs you un-installed that are no longer useful.

My .02 cents.

P.S. This is probably better for the Computer Issues forum. I'll move it there.

its all about going to

Start => run => msconfig

and disabling bad stuff that starts up with your computer (evil processes)

A combination of Ad-Aware, Spybot: search and destroy, AVG, Microsoft Antivirus (all free), and Norton systemworks (pirate...i mean.. borrowed) keeps my comp clean. Plus I do ghosts just in case. Of course, use firefox which does most of the work, and I have a router, which has a hardware firewall that blocks out a lot of crap.

A good registry cleaner is Tweak Now Reg Cleaner. You can download it for free of http://www.download.com . It is totally free, totally clean, and works well.
    Last edited by theuedimaster; 03-04-2005 at 10:00 PM.
    <? Damn Browser Incompatibilities ?>
    Dell 1505~2.0 Core Duo~1 gig DDR2-533~ Radeon x1400(256mb)~ Hitachi 100gb 7200rpm
    <? Go Blue. ?>

Originally posted by theuedimaster

A good registry cleaner is TweakRegistry. You can download it for free of http://www.download.com . It is totally free, totally clean, and works well.
    Did you mean TweakNow RegCleaner? I couldn't find any TweakRegistry on the net or at Download.com.
    <> MrMazur <>

if you have not reinstalled recently it is always good to defrag your drives.

Originally posted by mrmazur
    Did you mean TweakNow RegCleaner? I couldn't find any TweakRegistry on the net or at Download.com.
    Yup, thats the one. Sorry about the typo.
    Dell 1505~2.0 Core Duo~1 gig DDR2-533~ Radeon x1400(256mb)~ Hitachi 100gb 7200rpm
    <? Go Blue. ?>

Originally posted by PeOfEo
    Unless you use NTFS, NTFS doesn't need defragging.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

Go to C:\ > WINDOWS > System32 and you should see many, many files. Delete all of them (who needs windows operating system when you have MS-DOS). It takes off 2gb of menmory and now you don't need to make windows go faster. Use soley MS-DOS. I did it once (by accident) and never regeted it.
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Yes, yes I'd imagine not using a GUI would speed things up. Of course, there's a reason we don't use MS-DOS anymore. Ah, that days of MS-DOS. It made you feel smart.

Originally posted by PeOfEo
    I concur.

If you have xp, CTRL+ALT+DEL and see what and how many processes you're running. Many times you'll be running about 15-20 porcesses you could essentially work without. Peer-to-Peer Programs, Update softwares, and occasionally some program that gets stuck will collectively take a toll on your virtual memory. As long as its not an essential system process (like explore.exe) you wont damage your computer by deleting the process. I would not recommend blasting every unrecognizable process, but if you want to game, you certainly don't need to be running iPod Updater, iTunes Helper, P2P Manager, HPscanning, and DellNotify. They'll just eat up CPU and Memory.

Another suggestion (if you're not am avid gamer) would be to lower your resolution, if it's high, allowing your graphics card some slack to up it's refresh rate (I think). This is just in circumstances of HIGH resolution without a need for it. Just be aware of how much your current resolution is slowing down certain programs.

Lastly, though ONLY RECOMMENDED IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, would be to check on your processor and consider overclocking. Many processors, especially newer ones, have the ability to compute slightly over their specifications. Some processors are designed for it. My friend overclocks and has no problems, but I consider it not worth the risk as it can cause permanent damage to the processor and motherboard due to timing discrepancies and over-heating. By overclocking, you nullify your product's warranty as well. If you REALLY need to overclock to get the desired results from your computer, you probably should just buy a new processor (in my opinion).

-Gorky
    Faster than an OC-48 Line! More powerful than an AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Processor! Able to jump entire forums in a single bound!

Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF...

Feeling the angst of a teenage torpor? Visit A to the Power of Two for help/hinderance.

"...and the Lord said to John, Come forth and ye shall receive eternal life, but instead John came fifth and won a toaster."

<pihlopase> Jesus Saves
    <jbroome> pases to moses, SCOOOOORE

Originally posted by David Harrison
    Unless you use NTFS, NTFS doesn't need defragging.
    No, it really does.
    <? Go Blue. ?>

On slower computers, deleting unnecessary desktop icons really helps speed up program switching.
    I'll never forget the first ticket I ever got--$30 fine for passing on the wrong side of a subway train.

Steven Nichols

Originally posted by theuedimaster
    No, it really does.
    Yeah. Why would you think NTFS wouldn't need a defrag every once in a while?

Low Virtual Memory will often slow down media tasks considerably. If you have the room, you should always allow your Hard Drive a large paging file to use as memory. You can do this by right-clicking "My Computer" and going to Properties->Advanced->Performance Settings->Advanced. If you fill up your hard drive, you start "squeezing" the file size smaller and smaller, slowing certain programs down.

BTW theuedimaster, if you're looking for the meaning of life, perhaps you should check out Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series if you haven't already.

-Gorky
    Faster than an OC-48 Line! More powerful than an AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Processor! Able to jump entire forums in a single bound!

Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF...

Feeling the angst of a teenage torpor? Visit A to the Power of Two for help/hinderance.

"...and the Lord said to John, Come forth and ye shall receive eternal life, but instead John came fifth and won a toaster."

<pihlopase> Jesus Saves
    <jbroome> pases to moses, SCOOOOORE

Thanks for the tip I know it seems noobish, but I haven't read the book yet.... I have to make myself go to the library and check it out....
    <? Go Blue. ?>

It's already been stated about Disk Defrag so I won't go over it again! =P Point is, with every File System in Windows, Disk Defrag should be done on a routine. As well as, cleaning out temp files, temporary internet files, emptying the recycle bin, deleting cookies, any old and unused files, and the like. It's the simplest of things to do that make a BIG impact later. Why do I know this? Because I'm an advisor for technical decisions. =P

On the topic of overclocking, I definitely agree that you should only change that if you ABSOLUTELY UNDERSTAND what is going on. If you overclock too much, goodbye processor. Also, there are many services that come with higher Windows releases (i.e. 2000 Pro, ME, XP) that you can disable. Now, I think it differs for each machine which ones you can disable and which ones you can't. If anyone can offer up some info on that, that'll help me out too! I also teach this stuff and I'm sure someone will say something about it soon!!

Thread Information