www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: what is the effect of too often updating the site?

what is the effect of too often updating the site?

What is the effect of updating pages too often? for example adding pages and deleting other pages and changing the content of pages.

I think search engines like old pages more than new pages. the more a page is on the internet the best it is indexed and ranked. is it true?

Re: what is the effect of too often updating the site?

Originally posted by amahmood
    What is the effect of updating pages too often? for example adding pages and deleting other pages and changing the content of pages.
    Adding to and changing content has no effect other than changing content. Deleting pages has no effect in itself, unless you're deleting the page because you're moving it to somewhere else. Then, the best idea is to create a redirect within the .htaccess file, so the new position of the page will be found.

Originally posted by amahmood
    I think search engines like old pages more than new pages. the more a page is on the internet the best it is indexed and ranked. is it true?
    Not true. SE's prefer content and don't really care about how old the pages are. Older pages btw can have a lot of outdated facts, so less people would tend to maintain their crosslinking to those pages.
    Content and crosslinking are the rank improvers - not the age of pages.

im not a search engine expert but..

it doesn't matter how long a page is on the web.
    what does matter is having valid well structured pages.
    also having popular sites link to you.

if you are deleting pages the search engine will still link to the deleted page until the robot re-visits your site.also new pages wont be index until its re-visited.

there is a meta tag...

<meta name="revisit-after" content="3 days" />

set the days to whatever you want.im not sure whether this works or how well it works.

andy
    I can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty.

shepherd web design

Originally posted by andyshep
    <meta name="revisit-after" content="3 days" />

set the days to whatever you want.im not sure whether this works or how well it works.
    Most META tags are ignored by the major SE's.

All of my websites are spidered/crawled by Google, Yahoo!, MSN, Ask Jeeves on a regular basis. Yahoo! (Inktomi) vists every day, Google once a week with a site sweep and MSN, Ask Jeeves once very fortnight. And... I only use three META tags: Robots, Description, Keywords.

Thank pals.

Thread Information