www.webdeveloper.com
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: google crawles but doesn't update. What's the point?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    249

    google crawles but doesn't update. What's the point?

    google is perhaps the most hard working crawler but what's the point when it doesn't update pages?

    Have you noticed that a long time after you update your page google still indexes the old pages?

    Well, if I'm wrong please tell me. For me google doesn't even notice changes of page extension such as html to php. It just crawles!

    I haven't yet inspected to find out after how many times crawling google updates a page. Do you have any experience on this matter?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    339

    Re: google crawles but doesn't update. What's the point?

    Originally posted by amahmood
    google is perhaps the most hard working crawler but what's the point when it doesn't update pages?

    Have you noticed that a long time after you update your page google still indexes the old pages?
    No, I haven't noticed. Normally, Google updates the crawled pages right away, within hours.

    Originally posted by amahmood
    Well, if I'm wrong please tell me. For me google doesn't even notice changes of page extension such as html to php. It just crawles!
    Well, how can Google notice file extension changes if you perhaps do not provide a link to them?
    You should seriously consider using directory URI's only, like: domain.com/directory/ That way you may change the underlying technology without effecting your SE indexing. Have a look at the Quality Tips for Webmasters page at W3C.
    Last edited by philaweb; 07-03-2005 at 06:30 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    249
    Humm....

    OH..
    Yes, Yes, you are quite right.

    By the way, How I can persuade crawlers to go deeper into my site? by now google only go one level below index page, is there a way to send it deeper?

    and I should mention that I am talking about static pages and 3 or four level deep.

    I just edit to say that I am in favour of long file names such as: electornic_computer_harddisk_space_above40gb.htm.

    does this have a negative effect?
    Last edited by amahmood; 03-07-2005 at 06:43 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    339
    Originally posted by amahmood
    By the way, How I can persuade crawlers to go deeper into my site? by now google only go one level below index page, is there a way to send it deeper?
    The foolproof solution is to provide a link on every page to a sitemap.
    The sitemap should show the website tree ordered in a nested list.
    Originally posted by amahmood
    I just edit to say that I am in favour of long file names such as: electornic_computer_harddisk_space_above40gb.htm.

    does this have a negative effect?
    Why not make it long directory names? No negative effect unless you do not spellcheck...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    249

    Talking

    Originally posted by philaweb
    No negative effect unless you do not spellcheck... [/B]
    Yes, I should be more careful Thank you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Tampa FL
    Posts
    269
    In order for the Search Engines spider/bots to dig deep into your website you have to establish quality PR through quality backlinks.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center



Recent Articles