www.webdeveloper.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: PCI-Express question!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    West Coast, Canada
    Posts
    665

    PCI-Express question!

    Hey guys,

    I'm planning on buying an ATI Radeon X600XT vid card that's PCI-Express.

    Would my normal mobo be able to take in "PCI-Express" or would I need a different controller?

    My current mobo is: http://www.asus.com/products/mb/sock...e/overview.htm

    Help please!
    Jaime Bueza

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auburn, AL
    Posts
    9,222
    PCI express is an interface, much like agp 8x. If your motherboard does not have a pci express 16x slot the pci express card will have no place to go on your motherboard. You would have to buy a new motherboard to use that card. You can get the x lines for agp x8 though. I have seen the x600 and x800 (as well as nvidea 6800) using agp 8x, though pci express is definitely better.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    West Coast, Canada
    Posts
    665
    Why is it better?

    Is it just because the PCI-Express bus has more bandwidth? 4GB/s as opposed to AGP8x, which is 2GB/s ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auburn, AL
    Posts
    9,222
    well yeah... pci express is better because of better bandwidth.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The Big M
    Posts
    669
    In actual terms, PCI Express poses no difference from AGP 8x. At the moment, there really is no reason to get a whole new motherboard. The AGP line goes all the way up to the highest of the PCI Express line. Yes, you're right, the main difference between the two is bandwidth. However, remember that applications and programs today cannot take advantage of the agp 8x bandwidth even today. Therefore, you get the same performance between the two. Often times, AGP cards will go faster that PCI express cards due to technical properties such as latency etc.... The only reason to go PCI x16 is if you have tons of money or you want to prep for the future. Even then, I wouldn't do it; I would wait for dual core chip prices to flatline, and then I'd make the upgrade jump. That will make your buck last the longest.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auburn, AL
    Posts
    9,222
    Originally posted by theuedimaster
    In actual terms, PCI Express poses no difference from AGP 8x. At the moment, there really is no reason to get a whole new motherboard. The AGP line goes all the way up to the highest of the PCI Express line. Yes, you're right, the main difference between the two is bandwidth. However, remember that applications and programs today cannot take advantage of the agp 8x bandwidth even today. Therefore, you get the same performance between the two. Often times, AGP cards will go faster that PCI express cards due to technical properties such as latency etc.... The only reason to go PCI x16 is if you have tons of money or you want to prep for the future. Even then, I wouldn't do it; I would wait for dual core chip prices to flatline, and then I'd make the upgrade jump. That will make your buck last the longest.
    This is true, but the same can be said about sata. It just means your system will not be obsolete that much longer....

    I have not purchased anything for my pc in a long time. I guess I am sort of waiting for the dual core procs to come out too.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The Big M
    Posts
    669
    Yeah me too, intel is supposed to come out second quarter of this year, and AMD is supposed to come out with their dual cores second half or next year first quarter. By the way, has anyone tried the intel new emt64 processors?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The Big M
    Posts
    669
    SATA is just good because of the wires. In actuallity, the diff between PATA and SATA really isn't much at all. What does make a difference, however, is the speed of the drive. Upgrading from 5400 to 7200 is amazing. The same can be said from 7200 to 10000.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auburn, AL
    Posts
    9,222
    Originally posted by theuedimaster
    Yeah me too, intel is supposed to come out second quarter of this year, and AMD is supposed to come out with their dual cores second half or next year first quarter. By the way, has anyone tried the intel new emt64 processors?
    that was released? I have not heard anything about that... I didn't think it was officially out yet.

    I have heard about the dual cores too. I believe intel, but amd said they were going to release their dual opteron fall of last year and it kept getting later and later, if amd does not hurry intel will beat them to it. Plus when intel releases their dual core it is going to be actually cheaper than the amd dual core. Intel will be the cheaper proc for a change I think. I am trying to get my dad to invest some.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auburn, AL
    Posts
    9,222
    Originally posted by theuedimaster
    SATA is just good because of the wires. In actuallity, the diff between PATA and SATA really isn't much at all. What does make a difference, however, is the speed of the drive. Upgrading from 5400 to 7200 is amazing. The same can be said from 7200 to 10000.
    the thing is the ammount of bandwidth sata can carry is pretty insane. There are no drives on the market that can fully utilize it yet.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center



Recent Articles