www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: delivering clipart to customers

delivering clipart to customers

I have a clipart site and while I don't have a problem emailing .jpg or .gif files to customers, I also sell .tifs of the same clipart for use in print.
    These files are too large to send via email, so what would be the process of putting them up on my website so a customer can download them? I have a customer waiting for a file.

I designed and wrote my entire site in HTML, and I use PayPal. Here's the clipart site - http://www.natureworkspress.com/cliparthome.html

Re: delivering clipart to customers

Originally posted by Irene Brady
    I have a clipart site and while I don't have a problem emailing .jpg or .gif files to customers, I also sell .tifs of the same clipart for use in print.
    These files are too large to send via email, so what would be the process of putting them up on my website so a customer can download them? I have a customer waiting for a file.

I designed and wrote my entire site in HTML, and I use PayPal. Here's the clipart site - http://www.natureworkspress.com/cliparthome.html
    You might try this:

When the client makes a purchase you could give them a one-time username/password upon payment verification so they can log onto a private page where the images they purchased are available to them in the full-size, high-res and unmarked form they need. As far a the tagged image format files you could just put a download link on the same secure page. You may want to offer them as optimized *.png files as well, just in case they really become the preferred web format someday (scratch this last thought for the time being if you're offering alpha transparencies as they aren't yet well supported).

Just a thought anyway.
    Mike

Nice images by the way.

One way would be to compress them using a utility such as winzip or pkzip.

Hi Mike,
    Thanks for responding! Alas, you are speaking to a novice -- I learned HTML by copying online pages I liked then studying them to figure out how the codes worked, then using what I could.

But some stuff I never learned. Like:

~what are "tagged image format files"?
    ~how do you get a secured page and does it cost more?
    ~how would you code a download link?

I'm afraid it's pretty obvious how "newbie" I am.

I don't want to impose on you -- these are probably really complex questions (I don't even know if they are or not) so if you could even direct me to a tutorial or website where I could bone up on these items, I'd be happy.

I'm here because I tried several web searches, but I couldn't even figure out what to ask, and got no usable fetches on my search terms.

Thanks for any advice you might have.
    Irene

Originally posted by Irene Brady
    Hi Mike,
    Thanks for responding! Alas, you are speaking to a novice -- I learned HTML by copying online pages I liked then studying them to figure out how the codes worked, then using what I could.

But some stuff I never learned. Like:

~what are "tagged image format files"?
    ~how do you get a secured page and does it cost more?
    ~how would you code a download link?

I'm afraid it's pretty obvious how "newbie" I am.

I don't want to impose on you -- these are probably really complex questions (I don't even know if they are or not) so if you could even direct me to a tutorial or website where I could bone up on these items, I'd be happy.

I'm here because I tried several web searches, but I couldn't even figure out what to ask, and got no usable fetches on my search terms.

Thanks for any advice you might have.
    Irene
    You're welcome, Irene.

~ Tagged Image Format File is TIFF or *.TIF (sorry, figured you knew that).

~ If you do it yourself, it would cost nothing. It can/may be done on your server by creating a secure directory, but you could also do it with JavaScript, or better, with PHP (PHP Preprocessor Hypertext) or another "server-side scripting language." Google that and you'll find plenty. Or Google "secure sites," "secure web pages," etc. If you pay someone else to do it it would cost something, but not a lot. If you ask in the PHP forum you might find a voluteer who'll give you some code to use. You could just do this another way by simply creating a temporary page with the applicable content (no username, no password) but this isn't a huge security issue we're talking about. Example: tempfiles/clientname.htm and email the customer a link to their page when payment is secured. That'll work just fine if you didn't mind responding to each purchase request to fulfill the order. Sounds like that's what you're doing now anyway (nothing wrong with that).

~ To make a TIFF file a linked download you'd put the TIFF image in your image directory and place a link something like this on a "secure" or "client" page:
    Code:
    <a href="images/natureimage01.tif" title="Download TIFF Image"
    target="_blank">Download TIFF Image</a>
    You could Zip the file using WinZip as was suggested in which case you'd change the *.tif extension to a *.zip extension in the link code. The Zip file might be better anyway as TIFFs can run big (I know, I work with TIFFs a lot).

That should get you started in the right direction I hope.

Mike

Thread Information