dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Form names..

Form names..

OK I am new to PHP and just modifying some existing code at the moment. ( simple stuff!).
    I have some php that generates some pages accessed through a system of forms. Depending what you submit in one form dictates what is displayed on the next.
    The problem is that the existing code is a bit of a mess becuase it doesn't differentiate between the forms. It does all of it's processing on the names of the fields. Opps. I assume that it is possible to determine which form the data has some from, given that I can assign a name to each form. But in PHP how do I access/discover the name of the form that sent the data?
    Last edited by SuzanneB; 03-20-2005 at 07:13 AM.

Nope, sorry, the HTML FORM name is not transmitted to the server. If you want it to be, you must place that name into the value of a hidden field (don't even name a field with the same name as the FORM -- unless there is no client-side scripting going on at all). Thus, that code is correct in that it references everything by field name.

Oh, OK, that's what I already did. I was thinking there might be a better way though!! You see in the existing code, the author went to the trouble of naming all the forms, and I was wondering why. Clearly he was just completely insane. :-)

Well, that depends (I guess) on whether there is any JavaScript (or other client-side script) that needs to work with the form. In this case, having a name for the form is a good idea.

Hi!
    No there wasn't. The processing was entirely server side.

OK, then let's just say he was a creature of habit.

Thread Information