www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Help with text area output / screwed up in IE

Help with text area output / screwed up in IE

Hello,

If you are around Spufi.. I could use your help.

I have created a form on my site and the form works and looks pretty good. Especially in Firefox.

http://www.pcgotbugs.com/z.new.site/inquiry.request.php

However, when the response page is created and if the text from the textarea is too long, my template in IE ( not firefox ) breaks apart.

If you guys / girls could test it out in both IE and Firefox and maybe help me solve this problem it would be most appreciated. Then at least I can get the site online today. Finish up the other pages while it is online.

I really need some help with this.. So.. anyone.. someone.. Please..

Kind regard,
    liquidfrog

The problem is that you left the unit of measure off of a lot of your style specifications.

Thanks for the reply.. but I need examples.. if you mean the CSS file missing PX extensions.. Then I know about that..

There is more going on here.. anyone want to take a shot at helping me fix it?

Kind regard,
    liquidfrog

Originally posted by gravity
    Thanks for the reply.. but I need examples.. if you mean the CSS file missing PX extensions.. Then I know about that..

There is more going on here..
    Evidently, you don't know enough about that. And, no, there is not more going on here.

I took the source of the response page and the source of your CSS file and tested them on my PC in FrontPage. Without changes, I observed the same problem you described. I then changed every CSS specification that requires a unit of measure suffix -- but was missing one. I specified "px" in every case. When completed, I tested the page again. The problem was solved.

Next time you ask for help and somebody takes the time and trouble to respond -- have the decency to at least try what they tell you before you reject it out of hand. Thanks.
    Last edited by phpnovice; 03-20-2005 at 09:57 PM.

I did thank you for your help.. and I already changed all the css to px. The problem still exists..

So if you would be so kind to maybe look at it again and tell me what I may have missed it would be most appreciated.

Kind regard,
    liquidfrog.

Originally posted by gravity
    I did thank you for your help..
    I didn't say you demonstrated ingratitude. What I said is that you rejected what I said as the solution for your problem. Of course, rejecting what I said without -- apparently -- trying it first, flies in the face of saying "Thanks".

At any rate... There is still a style width attribute that is missing the unit of measure suffix. It just happens to be the one that is used for the cell where you are displaying your respopnse data:

<td class="style1" valign="top">
    Last edited by phpnovice; 03-20-2005 at 10:07 PM.

Thank you for finding the one item I missed. However, the problem still exists. But again, I appreciate your help. At least we have gotten rid of that potential variable.

Thanks again mate. If you see anything else, please let me know.

Kind regard,
    liquidfrog

OK, NOW you can reject my suggestion.

At any rate... Now I think this is some kind of TABLE issue. I notice that the four large buttons at the top right of your page are also spaced out to the same dimensions as the cell for the response data. And, I notice that the menu line at the bottom extends too far to the right:

Home | About Us | Support | Services | Contacts | Help | FAQ

EDIT: Now I also see a fifth large button at the top that goes as far to the right as the menu line at the bottom.
    Last edited by phpnovice; 03-20-2005 at 10:48 PM.

Heh.. I think it might be the script itself that is causing the problem. The response script to populate that page. If I take the script out the page goes right back to the way it should be. Once I add the script back in and it is populated. Boom.. Problem.

I have a email sent to the script creator seeing maybe if he can help modify the output of the script so that it does not elongate the page. Maybe help solve the problem. But I would not count on this.

Damn.. Always just one last problem causing an issue..

If it was not for bad luck I would not have any at all.

Kind regard,
    liquidfrog

PS> Do the input fields turn yellow when you start typing in them. I do not have this issue, but a friend of mine sent me a screenshot and his input fields are yellow.. wtf??
    Last edited by gravity; 03-20-2005 at 10:57 PM.

Thread Information